Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone Else Think Talking to Old Friends is Depressing?  (Read 2507 times)

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Think Talking to Old Friends is Depressing?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 02:30:50 AM »
Because people with good numbers who applied ED are getting dinged or haven't heard back yet.  It's kinda scary for me as a RD person.

ETA: sorry for the hijack, Wally!

Oh, I'm sure you'll be fine!  Hope you're having a good Christmas break.   :)

You are exceedingly nice!  And thank you :)  I hope you're also having a great break and getting a chance to enjoy time off before returning for next semester.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 02:57:58 AM »
Because people with good numbers who applied ED are getting dinged or haven't heard back yet.  It's kinda scary for me as a RD person.

ETA: sorry for the hijack, Wally!

Oh, I'm sure you'll be fine!  Hope you're having a good Christmas break.   :)

You are exceedingly nice!  And thank you :)  I hope you're also having a great break and getting a chance to enjoy time off before returning for next semester.

Oh, sort of.  I'm drinking like 5 white Russians every night and watching the first season of the Sopranos.  And then working on note by day.  Hm. 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 03:00:33 AM »
Oh, sort of.  I'm drinking like 5 white Russians every night and watching the first season of the Sopranos.  And then working on note by day.  Hm. 

At the risk of underestimating how arduous it is to write a note, I think that sounds rather fun :)

modum03

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 09:54:08 AM »
I think it is better to meet in person, over drinks. 

Completely agree with Finn.

Know that it gets harder to maintain that close connection as you go your separate ways from old friends. Same is happening with me with my HS and Undergrad friends. If you don't see people regularly it makes it harder to aviod the small talk chit chat that inevitbly leads to awkward conversations you never had while going to school with them.
If you do meet up, definitely go a bar. I find people are incredibly more open with a drink in their hand.
Cheers.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »

At the risk of underestimating how arduous it is to write a note, I think that sounds rather fun :)

Yeah it's kind of fun.  I have a good topic, and I enjoy writing.  But I'd still rather just not think about it after three weeks of studying every day. 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »
Well, maybe it'll help you keep your mind sharp between semesters while you gun for the top of your class?

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »
Well, maybe it'll help you keep your mind sharp between semesters while you gun for the top of your class?

Well, I think the real payoff for notes is the possibility of getting published.  Need to get it in better shape than it is now if that is going to happen....

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 07:01:46 PM »
havent talked to high school friends in about 20 years.  havent seen college friends since graduation.  law school friends, well i hope to keep a couple at least.  but those will probably fade as well.  out of sight, out of mind.   :-\
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 07:48:34 PM »
havent talked to high school friends in about 20 years.  havent seen college friends since graduation.  law school friends, well i hope to keep a couple at least.  but those will probably fade as well.  out of sight, out of mind.   :-\
That would be a huge mistake. 

what would?  i'm moving to a different state, i wont even practice here.  there arent more than a half dozen i can stand anyway :P

i have more friends HERE than i do in law school
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 08:59:08 AM »
I just talked to a good friend of mine from college.  He's currently applying to MFA programs.  I was amazed by how little we had in common.  No jokes, no common interests.  He didn't even want to hear about my law school.  When I tried to talk about anything in the past, it felt terrible.  I ended up asking him a few awkward questions about his current life and hanging up.

Times like these make you doubt the very foundations of friendship. What do we really have in common with another human being? 

Does anyone ever have similar experiences?

No! I'm out of high school 15 years now, and my closest friends from back then are still among my closest friends today. I had the good fortune of making more amazing friends in college and have stayed close with all of them as well. Our lives have taken us in very different directions literally, professionally, and personally but we've stayed tight.

The funny thing is that between college and law school (~ 7 years) I only made a handful of 'keeper' friends. A few from work, a few from grad school . . . but there were a lot more amazing people I genuinely felt close to and then failed to keep in touch with. I suspect the law school friends are here for the long haul.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me.