Law School Discussion

Anyone Else Think Talking to Old Friends is Depressing?

Anyone Else Think Talking to Old Friends is Depressing?
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:09:58 PM »
I just talked to a good friend of mine from college.  He's currently applying to MFA programs.  I was amazed by how little we had in common.  No jokes, no common interests.  He didn't even want to hear about my law school.  When I tried to talk about anything in the past, it felt terrible.  I ended up asking him a few awkward questions about his current life and hanging up.

Times like these make you doubt the very foundations of friendship. What do we really have in common with another human being? 

Does anyone ever have similar experiences?

Re: Anyone Else Think Talking to Old Friends is Depressing?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »
I think it is better to meet in person, over drinks. 

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 11:43:30 PM »
Wally, yes.  At least for me, this is common place.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:55:20 PM »
That is usually my experience with friends from high school.  Typically my friends from college are people with whom I share a lot of common interests.  At minimum, they listen to my pre-law school bull now and are truly interested to hear about when I actually leave.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 12:01:53 AM »
Oh...hi Britney! 

:)

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:06:40 AM »
Oh...hi Britney! 

:)

Hello!

Your school's admissions scares me this year.  Let them know my love is true. 

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 12:15:36 AM »
Why scare?

:o

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 12:18:56 AM »
Because people with good numbers who applied ED are getting dinged or haven't heard back yet.  It's kinda scary for me as a RD person.

ETA: sorry for the hijack, Wally!

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 12:20:24 AM »
I just talked to a good friend of mine from college.  He's currently applying to MFA programs.  I was amazed by how little we had in common.  No jokes, no common interests.  He didn't even want to hear about my law school.  When I tried to talk about anything in the past, it felt terrible.  I ended up asking him a few awkward questions about his current life and hanging up.

Times like these make you doubt the very foundations of friendship. What do we really have in common with another human being? 

Does anyone ever have similar experiences?

I experience this with high school friends, though I didn't really have any close friends in high school anyway. I have a small group of really tight friends in college. Hopefully the same thing won't happen.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 12:27:30 AM »
Because people with good numbers who applied ED are getting dinged or haven't heard back yet.  It's kinda scary for me as a RD person.

ETA: sorry for the hijack, Wally!

Oh, I'm sure you'll be fine!  Hope you're having a good Christmas break.   :)