Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ADVICE needed - DOJ or NYC Law Dept for 2L Summer  (Read 7109 times)

Big Time Lawyer

• View Profile
Re: ADVICE needed - DOJ or NYC Law Dept for 2L Summer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 12:59:32 AM »
scappy, when you speak of getting into your desired "department," are you referring to a particular area of law?  If so, which area of law do you like?  With this info, maybe we can shed some additional insight into the DOJ vs. NYC Dept. of Law decision.

In any case, though, based on the information of the other posters, I would take the NYC position because it has a good probability of leading to a full-time position, unlike the DOJ position, and also because you like the NYC area.  Also, remember that a bird in hand is better than two in the bush, much less one in the bush (which would be the case if you took the DOJ position).

scappy

• View Profile
Re: ADVICE needed - DOJ or NYC Law Dept for 2L Summer
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
Initially, I was asked which departments I would be interested in and told the NYCLD.  I was interviewed by two senior counsel.  Truthfully, I'll work whereever they want to place me because I'd really love to work there.  I wasn't the person interested in the DOJ.  I'm getting pretty nervous because I'm a 2L with no job right now.  I'd love to hear if there are others in the same position because misery loves company.  I'm in the top 10 percent in a Tier 2 law school so I'm wonder if there is something wrong with me.