Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC GPA Percentage  (Read 6295 times)

rush the rushdie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAC GPA Percentage
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 01:20:43 AM »

I have a major upward trend in grades. I was tripled in a double room my freshmen year and my grades reflect that. I went from a 2.60 my freshmen year to a 3.45 my sophomore year and then junior and senior year Ive made dean's list about 4 times with grades averaging around a 3.7 for 4 consecutive semesters.

::) ::) ::)

I would NOT suggest using that as an addendum. A 3.4 is a perfectly respectable GPA. You'll be fine.

i gots a question! (sorry this is a bit unrelated to the OP)

i wrote an addendum about my upward GPA trend, this isn't a good idea?  My freshman year grades are 0.3 lower than my overall GPA.  definitely not as impressive a jump as the OP (props) but i guess i just want the Adcomm to know my circumstances...

rush the rushdie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 01:23:05 AM »

I have a major upward trend in grades. I was tripled in a double room my freshmen year and my grades reflect that. I went from a 2.60 my freshmen year to a 3.45 my sophomore year and then junior and senior year Ive made dean's list about 4 times with grades averaging around a 3.7 for 4 consecutive semesters.

I would NOT suggest using that as an addendum. A 3.4 is a perfectly respectable GPA. You'll be fine.

i gots a question! (sorry a bit unrelated to the OP)

i wrote an addendum for an upward GPA trend, this isn't a good idea?  my frosh year grades are 0.3 lower than my overall GPA, which granted isn't as impressive a jump as the OP (props), but i just want the adcomm to know my circumstances..aka, i hard a difficult time adjusting to college.  is that just super lame, or okay to leave in my app?

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 01:31:28 AM »
A fair warning that I really dislike the proliferation of addenda (IMO, they are whiny, and 95% of them make the author sound entitled and obnoxious), so take this advice with a grain of salt.

I think addenda should only be used for circumstances outside of your control. For example - if you came down with mono in the middle of the semester, if you suddenly had to become a caretaker for a grandparent or child, if you lost your scholarship and had to work fulltime to support yourself, if someone close to you died on the morning of the LSAT, etc.

Additionally, if there's something that has to be explained (for example, maybe your major curved around a 2.7, or your professor had a policy to only give out 1 A per semester) about the OUTSIDE circumstances affecting your GPA, an addendum is appropriate.

Adjusting to college isn't really addendum worthy. I mean, what are you going to say that will really enhance your application? Many freshmen have a hard time adjusting; the circumstance isn't novel, nor is it something that was really earthshattering enough to seriously justify lower grades. It is what it is. There's nothing to explain.

Live Free or Die

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 01:38:13 AM »

i gots a question! (sorry a bit unrelated to the OP)

i wrote an addendum for an upward GPA trend, this isn't a good idea?  my frosh year grades are 0.3 lower than my overall GPA, which granted isn't as impressive a jump as the OP (props), but i just want the adcomm to know my circumstances..aka, i hard a difficult time adjusting to college.  is that just super lame, or okay to leave in my app?

They like upward grade trends in admissions and most likely expect them, so you don't need to explain it, especially for such a small difference. My freshman fall grades weren't my best, but that's life.

rush the rushdie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 01:39:37 AM »
A fair warning that I really dislike the proliferation of addenda (IMO, they are whiny, and 95% of them make the author sound entitled and obnoxious), so take this advice with a grain of salt.

I think addenda should only be used for circumstances outside of your control. For example - if you came down with mono in the middle of the semester, if you suddenly had to become a caretaker for a grandparent or child, if you lost your scholarship and had to work fulltime to support yourself, if someone close to you died on the morning of the LSAT, etc.

Adjusting to college isn't really addendum worthy. I mean, what are you going to say that will really enhance your application? Many freshmen have a hard time adjusting; the circumstance isn't novel, nor is it something that was really earthshattering enough to seriously justify lower grades. It is what it is. There's nothing to explain.

i was very much of the same opinion as you, but then i read Anna ivey's book and she says difficult-adjustment-college-omg (lol, scratch the 'omg') addenda are okay.  in fact, i think she says they're good.  granted anna ivey isn't the end all be all of the admissions process, but i figure her word's pretty good?  idk i (and she) could be dead wrong though.  

the strange thing with me is that when i hear ppl say they had mono or something, i always feel a bit suspicious.  i guess its the cynic in me.  but i feel like Adcomms *must* feel a bit suspicious about all the mono-addenda they read.. no?  idk, what are your opinions?  

Live Free or Die

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 01:43:13 AM »

i was very much of the same opinion as you, but then i read Anna ivey's book and she says difficult-adjustment-college-omg (lol, scratch the 'omg') addenda are okay.  in fact, i think she says they're good.  granted anna ivey isn't the end all be all of the admissions process, but i figure her word's pretty good?  idk i (and she) could be dead wrong though.  

the strange thing with me is that when i hear ppl say they had mono or something, i always feel a bit suspicious.  i guess its the cynic in me.  but i feel like Adcomms *must* feel a bit suspicious about all the mono-addenda they read.. no?  idk, what are your opinions?  

Probably depends on how severe the mono is. I had mono in my freshman winter but I could still go to class and got good grades.

rush the rushdie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 01:45:38 AM »
this is a completely random q, but how long does mono usually last?  is it longer than a flu/cold?  i mean, can you have mono for like a year?  which would really suck, i'd imagine...

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 01:45:48 AM »

i was very much of the same opinion as you, but then i read Anna ivey's book and she says difficult-adjustment-college-omg (lol, scratch the 'omg') addenda are okay.  in fact, i think she says they're good.  granted anna ivey isn't the end all be all of the admissions process, but i figure her word's pretty good?  idk i (and she) could be dead wrong though. 

the strange thing with me is that when i hear ppl say they had mono or something, i always feel a bit suspicious.  i guess its the cynic in me.  but i feel like Adcomms *must* feel a bit suspicious about all the mono-addenda they read.. no?  idk, what are your opinions? 

For mono and other serious illnesses, people often submit additional documentation (ie. letters from deans or doctors) as corroboration. Mono is seriously debilitating (Mario Ancic, a former top 10 tennis player did not play for over a YEAR because of mono). I generally give people the benefit of the doubt on sickness. In fact, I personally would be more suspicious of an "hard time adjusting to college" addendum and see it as "I drank and partied for a year before I got my stuff together" in nicer words.

As for Ivey, it's a great resource, but there's a lot of stuff in there that is outdated (for example - her suggestion to send a hard copy of every application in addition to an electronic copy. that's just not necessary anymore). I believe partially due to Ivey and the rise in professional consulting, as well as increased reliance on prelaw advisors, addenda are on the rise. People are writing addenda about everything under the sun and it's not necessary.

rush the rushdie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 01:48:39 AM »

i was very much of the same opinion as you, but then i read Anna ivey's book and she says difficult-adjustment-college-omg (lol, scratch the 'omg') addenda are okay.  in fact, i think she says they're good.  granted anna ivey isn't the end all be all of the admissions process, but i figure her word's pretty good?  idk i (and she) could be dead wrong though. 

the strange thing with me is that when i hear ppl say they had mono or something, i always feel a bit suspicious.  i guess its the cynic in me.  but i feel like Adcomms *must* feel a bit suspicious about all the mono-addenda they read.. no?  idk, what are your opinions? 

For mono and other serious illnesses, people often submit additional documentation (ie. letters from deans or doctors) as corroboration. Mono is seriously debilitating (Mario Ancic, a former top 10 tennis player did not play for over a YEAR because of mono). I generally give people the benefit of the doubt on sickness. In fact, I personally would be more suspicious of an "hard time adjusting to college" addendum and see it as "I drank and partied for a year before I got my stuff together" in nicer words.

As for Ivey, it's a great resource, but there's a lot of stuff in there that is outdated (for example - her suggestion to send a hard copy of every application in addition to an electronic copy. that's just not necessary anymore). I believe partially due to Ivey and the rise in professional consulting, as well as increased reliance on prelaw advisors, addenda are on the rise. People are writing addenda about everything under the sun and it's not necessary.

speaking of tennis players...Roger Federer didn't have his regular run of spectacular grand slam wins b/c he was fighting/recovering from mono!

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 01:50:04 AM »
This is true, but he was still pretty damn spectacular!

Anyway, to stay on topic, submit the addendum if you'd like. It won't break your app, obviously, but I also don't think it will do anything at all to enhance it.