Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC GPA Percentage  (Read 6449 times)

Prismpunk

• View Profile
LSAC GPA Percentage
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »
I just sent in my transcripts to LSAC and they just converted my grades to their own scale.

My cumulative gpa ranked percentage at my school comes out to exactly 50% (3.40). Basically it means that my gpa is right in the middle of students applying to law school out of my undergrad university. How does that look to certain admissions councils when your applying to law school? Does being in the middle gpa wise affect my chances at applying to law school?

I am not looking at T14 schools.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LSAC GPA Percentage
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 12:01:52 PM »
Well, my GPA is also at my school's 50% for law school applicants.  I can't say that it's negatively affected me thus far.

ETA: I will say that factors that work in my favor are time since the bad grades, a strong upward trend in grades, graduate work, etc.  So there are other factors that will balance in.  I don't know where you're applying or what your total application package looks like, so it's hard to give you specific advice. 
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 12:09:38 PM »
I'm below the median at my school.  However, I maintain that the rest of my school has fluffy majors and I don't, and I have stuff from my school to prove it :D  So I wrote an addendum about that.  Anything in that realm you can consider?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Prismpunk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 12:13:50 PM »
I don't plan on applying till probably next year. I am working right out of school and they require a 2 year commitment.

I have a major upward trend in grades. I was tripled in a double room my freshmen year and my grades reflect that. I went from a 2.60 my freshmen year to a 3.45 my sophomore year and then junior and senior year Ive made dean's list about 4 times with grades averaging around a 3.7 for 4 consecutive semesters.

Its just after I saw my cumulative gpa rank I wasnt sure how it would affect my chances of applying considering its right in the middle with the average being a 3.31 and my 3.40 being right above the average at my school.

I graduated from Suny Binghamton with a 3.40 gpa. I double majored in Political Science(3.4) and in History(3.7).

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:15:57 PM »

I have a major upward trend in grades. I was tripled in a double room my freshmen year and my grades reflect that. I went from a 2.60 my freshmen year to a 3.45 my sophomore year and then junior and senior year Ive made dean's list about 4 times with grades averaging around a 3.7 for 4 consecutive semesters.

::) ::) ::)

I would NOT suggest using that as an addendum. A 3.4 is a perfectly respectable GPA. You'll be fine.

Prismpunk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:18:09 PM »

I would NOT suggest using that as an addendum. A 3.4 is a perfectly respectable GPA. You'll be fine.

What about a legitimate death in the family. My grandmother passed away my second semester frosh year. Could I put that in an addendum?

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 12:19:12 PM »

What about a legitimate death in the family. My grandmother passed away my second semester frosh year. Could I put that in an addendum?

Yes, you could. Just make any and all addenda short and straight to the point.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 12:24:19 PM »

2d!

Don't use that as an addendum.  I would, however, suggest incorporating something where you talk about your positive grade trends.  Your grades are really similar to mine (in terms of trend, except my first two years were crap). 

ETA: What Brenda said.  Short, sweet, and to the point.  And yes, death in the family counts, but don't use it as a platform to throw a pity party.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 12:35:34 PM »

2d!

Don't use that as an addendum.  I would, however, suggest incorporating something where you talk about your positive grade trends.  Your grades are really similar to mine (in terms of trend, except my first two years were crap). 

ETA: What Brenda said.  Short, sweet, and to the point.  And yes, death in the family counts, but don't use it as a platform to throw a pity party.

3d.  I was suggesting more of a legit grade addendum with proof to back it up, if you had any.  You don't want to sound like you're making excuses.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Prismpunk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »
Yea it is a legit issue. Its not really an excuse she actually did pass away and it caused quite a few problems for me as I had to miss class for 1-2 weeks that second semester.

So I guess the actual 50% percentage ranking doesn't mean as much as other circumstances. Thanks for your help  :).