Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New here, go easy on me!  (Read 1735 times)

Richard4RollTide

• Only the best will do!
    • MSN Messenger - Richard4RollTide@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Richard4RollTide
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Richard4RollTide
    • View Profile
    • Email
New here, go easy on me!
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:42:01 PM »
A little background on me before I get started:

I'm 29, looking at starting law school with the class that starts in Fall 2010.
Operations Management Major GPA: 3.267 (After next semester I'm applying for Academic Bankruptcy, so it will probably jump back to the 4.0 that it was at prior to this past semester)
UGPA: 2.806 (Going to try to push it to 3.0, haven't submitted to LSDAS as it's a bit early for 2010 apps)
LSAT: Haven't taken yet.
Soft: Spent 4 years Active Army enlisted: Held the nation's highest clearance, Soldier of the Year for Pacific Region of a major command. At UA: 2 time President's List, 2008 APICS Scholar (APICS: International OM Organization), Helped manage the OM student organization's part of the Relay for Life campus wide event and the OM student organization's charity golf tournament, and was the Fall 08 OM student organization's Vice President for Philanthropy.

Now, the goal is law school, it's what I've wanted to do since a kid but I've had to do alot of different other things that got me off track. I was thinking of taking up a second major, but if I don't I will graduate Fall 2009 and have a few months probably to find out about law school.

Given everything above, should I even waste time/money with a second major? (I don't feel strong or weak about the major)
Also, I have alot of UGPA hours already so should I just prioritize the major GPA and the LSAT score and hope for the best?
Thanks in advance.
LSAT - December 2009
GPAs - UGPA - 2.833, Last 24 GPA - 3.4163, Last 48 GPA - 3.7215, Maj GPA - 3.38, Minor GPA - 4.165
LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rwhennings3

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: New here, go easy on me!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:49:06 PM »

Operations Management Major GPA: 3.267 (After next semester I'm applying for Academic Bankruptcy, so it will probably jump back to the 4.0 that it was at prior to this past semester)
UGPA: 2.806 (Going to try to push it to 3.0, haven't submitted to LSDAS as it's a bit early for 2010 apps)
Soft: Spent 4 years Active Army enlisted: Held the nation's highest clearance, Soldier of the Year for Pacific Region of a major command. At UA: 2 time President's List, 2008 APICS Scholar (APICS: International OM Organization), Helped manage the OM student organization's part of the Relay for Life campus wide event and the OM student organization's charity golf tournament, and was the Fall 08 OM student organization's Vice President for Philanthropy.

Now, the goal is law school, it's what I've wanted to do since a kid but I've had to do alot of different other things that got me off track. I was thinking of taking up a second major, but if I don't I will graduate Fall 2009 and have a few months probably to find out about law school.

Given everything above, should I even waste time/money with a second major? (I don't feel strong or weak about the major)
Also, I have alot of UGPA hours already so should I just prioritize the major GPA and the LSAT score and hope for the best?
Thanks in advance.

Academic bankruptcy?  I am not familiar with that term, but note that for the purposes of law school, all grades you receive prior to receiving your degree are averaged into your LSDAS GPA.  That is the GPA by which law schools evaluate you.  So, if you took a class, received an F, then retook it and got an A, they count both grades.

Do what will enable you to get the highest possible GPA and LSAT score.  Had I known several years ago that I would be applying to law school, I probably wouldn't have rushed out of school and graduated before I could take more UG classes to boost my GPA.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Richard4RollTide

• Only the best will do!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:56:43 PM »

Thanks in advance.

Academic bankruptcy?  I am not familiar with that term, but note that for the purposes of law school, all grades you receive prior to receiving your degree are averaged into your LSDAS GPA.  That is the GPA by which law schools evaluate you.  So, if you took a class, received an F, then retook it and got an A, they count both grades.

Do what will enable you to get the highest possible GPA and LSAT score.  Had I known several years ago that I would be applying to law school, I probably wouldn't have rushed out of school and graduated before I could take more UG classes to boost my GPA.

Academic bankruptcy basically is where if you have a high semester GPA prior to and after a bad semester and you have circumstances that you can prove that caused the bad semester, the university will convert all grades for that bad semester to a W. I've had a 4.0 the previous 2 before this Fall semester and I do have the circumstances, and I know I can pull a 4.0 even while doing senior level major classes.

I'm just at the point with my UGPA that even 15 hours at a 4.0 bumps it at most .05 to .1. I have 116 hours with 20 of those hours being Military Science, Physical Conditioning and Chorus (transferred from a 2 year military college).
LSAT - December 2009
GPAs - UGPA - 2.833, Last 24 GPA - 3.4163, Last 48 GPA - 3.7215, Maj GPA - 3.38, Minor GPA - 4.165

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:00:38 PM »
Ahhh, gotcha.  Well, the rest of my comments still stand.

Plus, major GPA is almost pointless so having a 4.0 in major isn't necessarily helpful.  Having a high overall UGPA is.  If you're curious about what your LSDAS GPA would be, you can use this tool http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/  I found it to be fairly reliable.

In addition, a 0.1 bump in your GPA apparently is worth 1 pt on the LSAT (according to another poster), so again, you're wont to put yourself in the best possible position when you apply.

Richard4RollTide

• Only the best will do!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:09:28 PM »
Ahhh, gotcha.  Well, the rest of my comments still stand.

Plus, major GPA is almost pointless so having a 4.0 in major isn't necessarily helpful.  Having a high overall UGPA is.  If you're curious about what your LSDAS GPA would be, you can use this tool http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/  I found it to be fairly reliable.

In addition, a 0.1 bump in your GPA apparently is worth 1 pt on the LSAT (according to another poster), so again, you're wont to put yourself in the best possible position when you apply.

Thanks for the information. I'm starting to think the best way to do it would be to spread it out until Spring 2010 graduation so I can get in some electives that might actually help out. (Not stupidly easy ones like basketweaving, obviously) The thing about doing a double major is that my course loads would be 18 - S09, 15 - Su09, 18 - Fa09, and 12 - S10, which would basically mean that I would have zero time to prep for the LSAT.
LSAT - December 2009

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:28:10 PM »
One last thing...

If you're doing the double major because you like the subject matter, go for it.  If you're doing the double because you think that law schools will care, then don't.  They don't care.  They just want to see the grades.  So if you're going to possibly hinder your GPA by taking a buttload of courses, don't.  I agree with spreading out some of your electives and such.  Make sure you have schedule balance for any one semester.

Good luck!

Richard4RollTide

• Only the best will do!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:49:10 AM »
Really not going for the double major because I want to, so I basically dropped that idea, added in more electives, so hopefully I can get my UGPA over 3.0 at least. Thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll have more questions later!
LSAT - December 2009