• View Profile
« on: December 22, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a FAQ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:44:07 PM »
Without the specifics you speak of, there's no way to tailor advice.

So, depending on where you want to work, just research online and send a cover letter with resume.

If money is important, apply to law firms.
If money is not particularly important, apply to places that interest you.

Law Firms

Typically Larger Sizes and Highest Paying: www.nalpdirectory.org (advanced search for those that hire 1Ls)
All Sizes: www.martindale.com
All Sizes: www.yellowpages.com

Government
Government Honors and Internship Handbook (contact your law school for password): http://www.law.arizona.edu/career/honorshandbook.cfm
Department of Justice:  http://www.usdoj.gov/oarm/oppls.htm

Federal Courts
Biographical Information of Federal Judges: http://www.fjc.gov/public/home.nsf/hisj
Court Locations: http://www.uscourts.gov/courtlinks/

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »
You're in law school and you have no idea what to do with your law degree?   :-\

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:31:23 PM »
If I were you, I'd apply to DA offices, U.S. Attorney's Offices, and federal judges.  The DA office / USAO will be familiar and give you exposure to what you are leaning towards at the moment.  An internship with a judge will expose you to other areas of the law.

If you get the opportunity, you could split your summer.

So... "general first steps"
1) Identify the city/cities you would want to work in.
2) Google for contact information for DA, USAO, and judges in those cities.
3) Send cover letters and resumes to those offices.  Identify when you will be available for interviews.  Do it now.  No need to wait for grades.
4) Follow up with a phone call in 1-2 weeks.

Working for a judge will be best to "keep your options open," so as to not make a law firm next fall think you are "too" interested in criminal law (big firms typically do not hire law students to join criminal defense practices).  This should not really be a big factor in your 1L summer decision, though.

I think it's best to apply before you get grades.  Law school grades can be kind of random.  Er, at least, I never really knew how I did in a course until I received a grade.  Other people disagree on this, though.

Edit:  Good luck!

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:18:53 AM »
Is there a 1L job-search FAQ? A good place to start? Just a set of recommendations? Some thread everyone likes?

I have let it all go until today -- my first day free after exams! -- and now I don't know where to start. I can't really define 'what I want to do' with my law degree, but I have some ideas. I don't want to get into all the specifics unless people are willing to give advice directed at my personal situation. So, let me know, would you like to hear who-I-am and where-I'm-coming-from or tell me there's a better way for me to get started on my job search.

Please tell me I haven't left it too late! :)

You are seriously going to Tulane in this economy with your numbers?  You could likely get a full-ride to some T14 schools.....

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:27:16 AM »
You are seriously going to Tulane in this economy with your numbers?  You could likely get a full-ride to some T14 schools.....

Is this a "where should I go" thread?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 09:43:06 AM »
I had a question, I asked it.  Go F&#* yourself vap.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
It was a good question, too, IMO.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 12:14:06 PM »
Stole Your Nose! has some good advice, especially about sending out adequate applications.  As a 1L, I sent out over 100 letters and got about 10 interviews.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 12:18:13 PM »
Stole Your Nose! has some good advice, especially about sending out adequate applications.  As a 1L, I sent out over 100 letters and got about 10 interviews.

Wowza, seriously?