Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ...  (Read 6131 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a FAQ?
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »
Considering civil-law is pretty useless outside Louisiana and the reality that most large cases end up in federal court, you can't really justify Tulane over a top school no matter where you want to practice.

Regardless, enjoy that unpaid internship this summer.

That's pretty harsh.  But I guess some animosity toward the OP may be justified for some reason.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 04:16:13 PM »
Considering civil-law is pretty useless outside Louisiana and the reality that most large cases end up in federal court, you can't really justify Tulane over a top school no matter where you want to practice.

That's pretty harsh.  But I guess some animosity toward the OP may be justified for some reason.

name one
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 05:45:40 PM »

name one

perhaps if tulane law school murdered TheDudeMan's father?

ooh ooh! i know!  tulane law school went back in time and murdered thedudeman's father!

JD

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 03:34:14 PM »
I actually didn't start out by Tulane bashing.  I just asked an honest question regarding why someone with the OP's stats would go to Tulane.  It's a valid question.

It's not just the Vault 20 that are selective based on school in this economy.  Especially for a 1L.  It's highly unlikely that the OP will get a Bigfirm gig (or anything that pays well) as a first year coming out of Tulane. 

Even at higher ranked schools, landing a summer associate position isn't easy as a 1L.

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 12:07:26 AM »
TnR, is your LSN data correct? DudeMan is fixated on your reported 174 and it appears to be clouding his responses.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2008, 12:37:26 AM »
Funny how the question "I'm looking for a summer position" and the statement "I go to Tulane" can get squashed by certain idiots into "You can't have a BigLaw job because your school isn't prestigious enough" even if I mention "I'm not interested in a BigLaw job." People have serious issues with prestige / elitism on this board. Is there an "ignore" function?

Merry Dreidel ...

You suggested that you did want a BigLaw job, at least to see whether the myths are correct, IIRC.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »
I really didn't think my question was a bad one.  I mean honestly, why would anyone with those numbers go to Tulane, it's a fair question.  It's reality that you could have gotten into a top school, and it's also reality that Tulane is Tulane and won't do much for you without top grades.

I just was curious.  Defensive much? 

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 03:39:53 PM »
I agree.  I mean, the OP is putting himself out there for advice, so why can't we ask him a question or two?  In fact, uncovering his motivations for Tulane could be extremely helpful in determining where he goes after graduation and this summer.  Was he a T14 prospect who went there because he couldn't leave NO?  Because he simply loves Civil Law?

These are apposite questions, but he shut us down.  You know what -- I don't even want to help him anymore.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
what difference does it make WHY he went to tulane?  that isnt even the issue.

JD

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »
what difference does it make WHY he went to tulane?  that isnt even the issue.

Yes, it is.  If he had a 174/3.6, like he dubiously claims, then it says a lot about him and where he wants to be.  We can use that information to help him.