Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler!  (Read 1943 times)

opcode

• View Profile
    • Email
Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler!
« on: December 22, 2008, 03:23:35 PM »

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:41:30 PM »
this thread is useless without a poll.

and the children should be taken from the parents.  my opinion.

and placed with a jewish foster family.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:01:32 PM »
I have a large libertarian streak running through me. 

Parents can name their kids whatever they like.  The government shouldn't be in the business of telling folks what are (and are not) appropriate names.  If the parents can love and provide for their kids, that's enough.  It might be disgusting and distasteful, but that's their prerogative.  This isn't a trend, this is an isolated case.

Second, the grocery stores have every right to withhold services.  In my libertarian world, private businesses are not compelled to write names (and symbols) which they deem to be offensive. 

Basically, name your kids what you want but don't expect a cake.

+1
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 05:51:44 PM »
New Zealand will apparently take your kid from you if you name it "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii"
http://abcnews.go.com/WaterCooler/wireStory?id=5439648  ...I'm gonna have to go with the judge on this one!

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 05:54:51 PM »
The government shouldn't be in the business of telling folks what are (and are not) appropriate names. 

yes it should.

So do you think we should provide a master list of acceptable names just so parents do not make any mistakes?   

How about if the parents named the child Adolf, but left out the Hitler last name?  Good parents or take the baby?

Nope, way beyond the scope of government.  We should not legislate morality.

If they're not legislating morality, what are they legislating?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »
Good call, Buddy!

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 06:18:35 PM »
PaleForce, I thought we're supposed to be working on being BFF?  You should take my side over blue's.

Sorry!  I guess I suck at BFF'ing.  I still think the period in your name makes you mysterious, if that helps!  ;D

I get where your libertarian streak is coming from, and agree with a lot of what you said--both that gov't shouldn't be in the business of telling people what names are acceptable and that stores should be able to refuse to make a cake with that name if they choose. 

But, I don't think that it's beyond the scope of government to legislate morality--they do it every day.  Plus, I think those parents are bat-*&^% crazy and need to be evaluated!  Naming a kid Adolf Hitler (and, I think little Adolf's sister's name is Aryan, by the way) is going to unnecessarily traumatize that child in a way that can be argued to be just as damaging as physical abuse.  But, where does the line get drawn?  It's the slippery slope that bothers me.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 07:03:33 PM »
PaleForce, I thought we're supposed to be working on being BFF?  You should take my side over blue's.

Sorry!  I guess I suck at BFF'ing.  I still think the period in your name makes you mysterious, if that helps!  ;D

I get where your libertarian streak is coming from, and agree with a lot of what you said--both that gov't shouldn't be in the business of telling people what names are acceptable and that stores should be able to refuse to make a cake with that name if they choose. 

But, I don't think that it's beyond the scope of government to legislate morality--they do it every day.  Plus, I think those parents are bat-*&^% crazy and need to be evaluated!  Naming a kid Adolf Hitler (and, I think little Adolf's sister's name is Aryan, by the way) is going to unnecessarily traumatize that child in a way that can be argued to be just as damaging as physical abuse.  But, where does the line get drawn?  It's the slippery slope that bothers me.

That.

I see what you mean about the government being in the business of legislating morality.  I just happen to believe that what happens in the confines of one's home/family life/personal life/etc, should be their business.  Of course, there are certain lines to be drawn that I am all for (w/rt rape, incest, abuse, murder, etc), but absent those types of harm, I don't see the point in getting that worked up about names.

The kid could be irrepairably harmed, but then again, the kid could turn out to be normal.  We never know.  And if the kid is screwed up, who's to say it's the fault of the name more than just the parents just generally being idiots and bad parents.  Unfortunately (but fortunately), there's no restriction on who can become parents. 

In short: the kid's name is repugnant, the parents are ass sombreros, the store was within their right not to make the requested cake, but the parents have the right to name their kid whatever idiotic thing they dream up in a fit of fancy.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

opcode

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 10:52:50 PM »

PravinLal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »
Nor should it be acceptable to name your kid: