Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: E&E - Old Editions?  (Read 1475 times)

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
E&E - Old Editions?
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:41:22 AM »
Hey Guys -

In an effort to save some $$$ for the upcoming school year (spring break?  ;)) I was wondering whether I could get away with buying old editions of the E&E's for CrimLaw, Property, and/or Torts. I used an older edition for Ks, which worked fine, although for Civ Pro I had to borrow my SO's newer copy for post-Twombly pleading rules, etc.

Also, if there are better supplements out there, shout. I've seen on here Dressler for Crim Law... but he has several books and I'm not sure which is the right one (although I'm assuming its "Understanding Crim Law").

Thanks for any help! :D
Vandy 1L... really?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: E&E - Old Editions?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »
The Understanding series, the Nutshell books, Chemerinsky books, and the "Concepts and Insights" series are all better than the E&Es.  In my experience, E&Es don't provide the kind of preparation that will get you an A.

I think this is going to depend heavily on your professor, but I don't yet know about this "A" thing in law school.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »
I've only used one E&E so far, and our Civ Pro professor taught just-about-straight from it. I must have read that thing three times by the end. Can't expect to have this good fortune all the time though...
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »
The exams here at Chi are, indeed, far more difficult than the E&Es, but it's stupid not to try to use them to get the BLL down perfectly before attempting to explore harder issues and policy implications.  You must walk before running, skip before jumping.

I loved the Property E&E for future interests and joint tenancy/tenants in common stuff; I used the Torts E&E for very basic intentional torts and negligence/strict liability doctrine; and the E&E was more or less a lifesaver in CivPro. 

If you need cheap copies of these books, look for your school's reserve room.  They should have them.  DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON WHAT YOUR LIBRARY PROBABLY HAS FOR FREE.  Also, ask older students for their copies.  A 2L gave me his Torts E&E for $5.  Perhaps you could even scour the FL law library when you're home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DspcTcVslsI&feature=related

I out.  Peace.  :)

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 05:56:25 PM »
I used an older E&E for Torts and Ks and it was fine.  The Crim one wasn't especially helpful but it had nothing to do with which edition it was.  I just didn't find it especially useful for the way my professor set up the course.

Templedude7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 02:15:53 AM »
The old editions for torts and Contracts is probably fine. However, while I am a fan of E&E, the criminal law E&E by Singer is not very useful in my opinion. I would get an alternative.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 11:47:46 AM »
Which is the Chemerinsky book? The Case Supplement or the "Principles and Policies" one?
Vandy 1L... really?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 12:10:01 PM »
Thanks!
Vandy 1L... really?