Law School Discussion

Do science majors have an advantage?

Do science majors have an advantage?
« on: December 23, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »
Hello,

I'm sure this has been explored before on this forum, but does it help me that I am a math and physics major for the T14 schools?  Or does this really have no effect?   For example: suppose I have a good GPA and a mediocre LSAT or vis-a-versa, will the physics/math degree push me above the other applicants in my same situation?   I'm thinking that since science majors are underrepresented (I assume), the admissions people would find it rare ...

Re: Do science majors have an advantage?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »
You might get a slight GPA bump (it really depends on the school), but you definitely will not get any LSAT advantage. The more rigorous your UG (known for enginerring/science w/ a tough curve) the more it will help you at some schools.

Edit:  It is probably more appropriate to say schools may look past your GPA if you have a high LSAT.  It isn't that they actually recalculate your GPA based on major and school.

Hello,

I'm sure this has been explored before on this forum, but does it help me that I am a math and physics major for the T14 schools?  Or does this really have no effect?   For example: suppose I have a good GPA and a mediocre LSAT or vis-a-versa, will the physics/math degree push me above the other applicants in my same situation?   I'm thinking that since science majors are underrepresented (I assume), the admissions people would find it rare ...

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »
I imagine it would be a soft factor that works in your favor. Half of my class at Michigan has a social sciences background. It'd probably be even better if you had a graduate degree in science.

Hannibal

• I love it when a plan comes together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 09:37:28 PM »
I'll say this much:  CS/EE background with a little work experience is pure gold if you're trying to find a patent law job.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 09:49:56 PM »
*cough*

And you go to Stanford Law, hannibal.

Here's the thing that nobody tells you about this process: getting into schools and getting jobs once in law school are very different things.  Yes, when two candidates are stacked up in the admissions office, you'll get the same look based on GPA/LSAT.  However, once you're in the school, there are enormous and totally absurd disparities in where people can go for 1L jobs, 2L firm jobs, and even careers.

I have friends who worked at Big 4 Accounting firms, friends that sat for and passed the Patent Bar, and friends who went to Ivy UGs and then did management consulting for a year or two.  Are we all at the same school?  Yes.  But they're definitely not playing the same game as me.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 12:19:21 PM »
Your background will not be of significant help in regards to your LSAT. This is probably the most important factor and schools don't like to compromise on it. It may help with your GPA though. It depends how you will use your background and UG in the application.