Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PSA: I'm a 3L and these are the things I would have done/plan to do differently  (Read 4924 times)

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I would've tried to get summer associate position as a 2L instead of doing very rewarding work for my community. Now I am pigeonholed into the "public interest" category in a bad economy.

Take more practice tests throughout the semester.

Taken time off to socialize a bit more.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
i would have made sure
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Would have gunned harder for a Law Review board position (although I would probably have regretted it).

Why?

Why would I have regretted it?  Because LR board would have overwhelmed my entire 3L year, prevented me from reaching my other goals, and made me hate my life in general.  It probably would not have helped with getting a clerkship, since LR seemed to be enough for most judges.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Would have gunned harder for a Law Review board position (although I would probably have regretted it).

Why?

Why would I have regretted it?  Because LR board would have overwhelmed my entire 3L year, prevented me from reaching my other goals, and made me hate my life in general.  It probably would not have helped with getting a clerkship, since LR seemed to be enough for most judges.

Why do you regret not having gunned for a board spot, then?
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Why?

Because it would have been nice for my resume, and a high position would have opened up a lot of doors.

NYC3L

• View Profile
money aside, I regret doing the 2L summer firm thing.

NYC3L

• View Profile
I knew I didn't want to work for a firm when I came into law school. Still I followed the pack. It's not that I really regret it... I enjoyed the people and obviously the events/lunches. It's just that I was bored to death by the work (you can only suft the intertubes so many hours a day) and probably would have had a more rewarding experience elsewhere.

eyeoftheligrr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
hard to actually put that money aside, though.

NYC3L

• View Profile
hard to actually put that money aside, though.

For sure. Guess I just viewed it as a missed opportunity... particularly since I'm going to end up not keeping much thanks to my schools LRAP program.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Why?

Because it would have been nice for my resume, and a high position would have opened up a lot of doors.

What doors do you think are now closed?  Sorry for all the questions. 

It's not that they're closed--it's that in some instances it would have helped to open them.  Now I have to try to do other things to push those doors open!  Most important would be a CoA clerkship.  I'm a good candidate, but not great, so I think it could have bumped me up a bit.  Secondly, there is a small boutique firm I am interested in that appears to value a board membership (almost every attorney on their website has one).  Lastly would be academia, which I suspect is not for me anyway.