Law School Discussion

Same undergrad and law school?

Re: Same undergrad and law school?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 09:22:31 AM »
A few of my professors are Yale/Yale.  When you're already at the top, why go down?

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »
f you, stanley.

In good fun, of course.

I actually have a theory about this, but since it is A) obnoxious; B) slightly self-aggrandizing; and C) of interest to not one, I shall refrain from offering it.

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 10:01:41 PM »
I've heard people refer to getting your bachelor's and master's degree from the same school as an "inbred pedigree"--seen as not exactly a good thing; I guess some think it's the easier thing to do.  I would think it would depend on the school and how independent the master's program is from the undergrad part of the school, and, of course, how prestigious the school is.  I don't think anyone would sniff at a bachelor's and JD from Harvard or Yale.  But, I have no clue whether this applies to LS.

I really don't think it does, at the very least not in the same way. A JD is not a masters, and there is generally not a significant amount of overlap between the undergrad faculty and the law faculty at a school. You also generally aren't studying substantially the same subject.

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 10:36:11 PM »
There's always the possibility of a pre-law degree, but, yeah, I think you're right.

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »
Thanks to those of you who posted helpful comments.  Since I'm really not sure where I would like to live after graduating, it's difficult for me to make my decision based solely on location.  That's why I was asking if going to a (to avoid any future rants I will say higher-ranked rather than better) school would be better for me.  Although the impression I get from reading other posts is that schools ranked below T-14 and above #50 all give you about the same chance of finding a job outside that area. 

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 07:13:56 AM »
Thanks to those of you who posted helpful comments.  Since I'm really not sure where I would like to live after graduating, it's difficult for me to make my decision based solely on location.  That's why I was asking if going to a (to avoid any future rants I will say higher-ranked rather than better) school would be better for me.  Although the impression I get from reading other posts is that schools ranked below T-14 and above #50 all give you about the same chance of finding a job outside that area. 

Well, I don't think it's accurate to say all the schools ranked from 15 -- 50 are about equally national.  Clearly, Vanderbilt is more national than U. Tennessee.  Now in that case, the higher ranked school is more national, but that's not always the case I think.  A few schools ranked below 20 or so seem to have a pretty national reach (or at least in certain regions outside of their home state) for various reasons (Emory, Notre Dame, Tulane, and Howard are a few examples).  I'd check the schools career statistics and see what percentage of stduents practice outside their region and also Vault rankings to see which schools place students with the top law firms around the country. So I'd consider those factors as well as ranking.

Now in your case if you might want to leave Florida then Florida might really not be the best option.  I don't think it has much reach outside of Florida and maybe Atlanta.  With your numbers, some schools that are semi-national that might be worth looking at include Emory, UNC, William and Mary, Tulane, and American.  Florida and Florida State are good safety's, but they will limit you to Florida, at least initially. 

ClashCityRocker

• know your rights
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 02:54:14 PM »
I've heard people refer to getting your bachelor's and master's degree from the same school as an "inbred pedigree"--seen as not exactly a good thing; I guess some think it's the easier thing to do.  I would think it would depend on the school and how independent the master's program is from the undergrad part of the school, and, of course, how prestigious the school is.  I don't think anyone would sniff at a bachelor's and JD from Harvard or Yale.  But, I have no clue whether this applies to LS.

This post caught my eye because I'm also considering going to the same school for my B.A. and my J.D. However, unlike Harvard and Yale, NYU has a pretty mediocre ranking for undergraduate, but has an outstanding law school. While I'm trying to avoid the "inbred pedigree," there's a really good chance that NYU will be the best school that I can get into. So I guess I'm sort of in the opposite situation, where I have to ask if I want to go to a higher ranked school despite it being my undergraduate alma mater.

just dot

• I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »
I'm at UF.  I'd say maybe as many as 1/3 of my classmates are UF undergrads.  Many who have doubled at UF seem to plan on practicing somewhere in Florida.  A UF law degree is useful for practice anywhere in Florida because it carries prestige anywhere in the state.  Still, UF does place some outside of Florida, so you are not necessarily stuck here if you want to leave (although I would agree with the previous poster who said that the only truly "national" law degrees are those from a T-14, otherwise you'll have to work a little harder to find a job). 

I think you need to do some soul searching and make some decisions about your future before you settle on a law school.  What areas of law are you interested in?  Are you considering biglaw or academia or public interest law?  Do you want to live in a big city or a specific region of the country?  You need to know where you want to go in order to decide what school will be the best fit for you.  If you want to keep your debt down while still going to a T1 law school, you can't beat UF law.  Ditto if you want to practice in Florida.  If you're dead set on biglaw, it might be a gamble.  Then again, "they" say it is better to go to school in the region where you want to practice, so if you have no idea where you want to live that might be a problem for you.

There are so many factors to consider.  That being said, I absolutely love it at UF law and if you enjoyed your undergrad experince, I think you would be equally happy at UF law.  I truly couldn't imagine being anywhere else. 

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 02:56:12 AM »

This post caught my eye because I'm also considering going to the same school for my B.A. and my J.D. However, unlike Harvard and Yale, NYU has a pretty mediocre ranking for undergraduate, but has an outstanding law school. While I'm trying to avoid the "inbred pedigree," there's a really good chance that NYU will be the best school that I can get into. So I guess I'm sort of in the opposite situation, where I have to ask if I want to go to a higher ranked school despite it being my undergraduate alma mater.

the inbred pedigree worries don't apply to JD admissions...usually, the staffs are completely separate.  it'd be different if it were a question of getting your MA/PhD.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 02:31:02 AM »
I'm at UF.  I'd say maybe as many as 1/3 of my classmates are UF undergrads.  Many who have doubled at UF seem to plan on practicing somewhere in Florida.  A UF law degree is useful for practice anywhere in Florida because it carries prestige anywhere in the state.  Still, UF does place some outside of Florida, so you are not necessarily stuck here if you want to leave (although I would agree with the previous poster who said that the only truly "national" law degrees are those from a T-14, otherwise you'll have to work a little harder to find a job). 

I think you need to do some soul searching and make some decisions about your future before you settle on a law school.  What areas of law are you interested in?  Are you considering biglaw or academia or public interest law?  Do you want to live in a big city or a specific region of the country?  You need to know where you want to go in order to decide what school will be the best fit for you.  If you want to keep your debt down while still going to a T1 law school, you can't beat UF law.  Ditto if you want to practice in Florida.  If you're dead set on biglaw, it might be a gamble.  Then again, "they" say it is better to go to school in the region where you want to practice, so if you have no idea where you want to live that might be a problem for you.

There are so many factors to consider.  That being said, I absolutely love it at UF law and if you enjoyed your undergrad experince, I think you would be equally happy at UF law.  I truly couldn't imagine being anywhere else. 

FSU and Miami will serve you equally well.