Law School Discussion

Same undergrad and law school?

Same undergrad and law school?
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:56:25 PM »
I'm sure this question has been asked several times on this forum before - but I'm being lazy and asking it for myself.  Feel free to point me in the direction of any previous posts...   How terrible is it to get your undergraduate and law degrees from the same institution?  I graduated from the University of Florida, and was accepted to the law school as well.  I have also been accepted to much better schools (Iowa for example)and hope to be accepted to several other higher-ranked schools, but staying here in Gainesville and going to UF would save me, I believe the correct term would be, "oodles" of money, not to mention all the stresses of moving, etc.  However, I don't want to limit myself in terms of job prospects by getting my degree from the same school, not to mention a lower-ranked school.  Does the higher rank and different school outweigh the amount of money I would save?

TimMitchell

Re: Same undergrad and law school?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 08:01:54 PM »
I think it really comes down to where you want to practice. Most schools only really produce lawyers in the region they are in. Unless you are going to a top school with national mobility I would go to the best school in the region you ultimately want to practice.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:58:52 PM »
No one will care if your UG and law school are the same, especially if it's a legit school like Florida.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:34:22 AM »
Oh, christ.  Iowa is not better than Florida.  In fact, I almost ensure you that it is far far worse for Florida, which is probably the market in which you want to practice.  Nobody will recognize your Iowa degree anywhere besides the Midwest, where, I admit, the school is probably decent at placing people regionally.  Do you want to work in the Midwest?  If not, stay the hell away from Iowa.

This is exactly why you should ignore US News after the top 10 or so schools.  It's wrong. wrong. wrong. wrong. wrong.  Go to Texas, maybe, but likely nothing below that, and you probably won't do much better than Florida with your numbers and career goals.  Good luck.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
Oh, christ.  Iowa is not better than Florida.  In fact, I almost ensure you that it is far far worse for Florida, which is probably the market in which you want to practice.  Nobody will recognize your Iowa degree anywhere besides the Midwest, where, I admit, the school is probably decent at placing people regionally.  Do you want to work in the Midwest?  If not, stay the hell away from Iowa.

This is exactly why you should ignore US News after the top 10 or so schools.  It's wrong. wrong. wrong. wrong. wrong.  Go to Texas, maybe, but likely nothing below that, and you probably won't do much better than Florida with your numbers and career goals.  Good luck.

-Cosigned, though less bitterly. ;)

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 04:26:28 PM »
I've heard people refer to getting your bachelor's and master's degree from the same school as an "inbred pedigree"--seen as not exactly a good thing; I guess some think it's the easier thing to do.  I would think it would depend on the school and how independent the master's program is from the undergrad part of the school, and, of course, how prestigious the school is.  I don't think anyone would sniff at a bachelor's and JD from Harvard or Yale.  But, I have no clue whether this applies to LS.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »
it doesn't matter.  most law schools are completely separate from their undergrad institutions.  a problem arises when you get a BA/PH.D from the same institution.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 05:54:46 AM »
I'm curious what "much better" school you're going to get into than Florida...
I disagree a little with what a couple people have said about Iowa being no better than Florida.  I think what they mean is that the job prospects are no better, which is probably accurate.  But I remember seeing something recently (maybe Leiter?) that some of Iowa's professor's are the most referenced legal scholars in the country (within the top 10, perhaps top 5).  The reason Iowa does so well in US News is because other academics regard Iowa very highly because of all the legal talent there.
Now that's not to say that you should go there over Florida.  Obviously if you want to work in Florida that doesn't make sense...

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 07:34:22 AM »
I'll make the point that if you look at bios at professors at top schools around the country, you'll find more than a few have received their undergrad and JD from the same institution, it's not uncommon.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 08:22:12 AM »
I would only do it if (a) you're doubling up on a top school (like Harvard or Michigan) or (b) you're sure you want to work in that region (in your case, Florida).