Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW Law 1L ... taking questions  (Read 5177 times)

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW Law 1L ... taking questions
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 01:01:22 AM »
How close to school do you live?

Do you know anything about the people accepted ED?  The literature says that they get some extra mentoring or something; is that legit and actually helpful, or just fluff to go on the website?

Thanks!

I live two metro stops from the school, and door-to-door it takes me 30 minutes (if I'm walking slow).

Yeah the presidential merit scholars were assigned mentors right before finals.  They had meetings with the presidential merit scholar board members to determine who best to pair them with mid-semester.  Since it's a new program and mentors haven't been contacted really yet (given finals and all), the extent of this relationship is TBA.  It will probably depend on how far the student chooses to take it.  Thus far, the professors have all been really enthusiastic about it.

bridgemonkey405

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN - 174/3.7
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 01:07:13 AM »
Do you live in a community with other law students?

If not, how easy is it to socialize when your only mode of transportation is the train (I'm assuming that you don't have a car. I could be wrong)

How is living in DC?

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 01:18:27 AM »
Do you live in a community with other law students?

If not, how easy is it to socialize when your only mode of transportation is the train (I'm assuming that you don't have a car. I could be wrong)

How is living in DC?

I don't live in a community with other law students.  There's only one law school dorm at GW - the Aston and it only has studio singles.  I'm married so that wasn't an option for me anyways.  I know some people who live there and like it, but oftentimes, they describe how they can "never get away" from the law school environment.  On the other hand, I'm sure it's convenient to have classmates on hand next door.  Funny enough, with 500 1L's at GW you invariably end up living in the same apartment buildings as other law students.  Someone in my section lives in my apartment building in Arlington, and I know other people live within walking distance of my apartment too.  There's one building around McPherson Square that FOUR 1L's ended up living in, and they threw a couple parties on their rooftop this semester.

It's SO easy to socialize with other law students when you don't live in a building with law students, or if you don't have a car.  My husband and I do have a car, but mainly he uses it for work and I stick to public transit.  The car is mainly used for him to commute to work.  Anyways, the social events in law school are mainly bar review, which at GW is *every* Thursday, and the post-midterm and post-finals bar events.   I'm also in a couple student groups which was a great place to meet people. I invited people over to my place a couple times, and it was easy to get to given my proximity to the Metro.  The key is to just live within close proximity to a metro station (in a safe area) and it will be easy for you to just hop on the metro whenever you like.

I live in Arlington, on the orange line, and I really really love Arlington.  While I'm sure DC is great, I live in an area with plenty of restaurants, a movie theater, and a library which I hit up for free movies all the time.  There is something to say for choosing to live in Arlington, though I wouldn't recommend living further out than Ballston.  That's when it starts getting more suburban.  The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is quite urban.  And since Foggy Bottom is on the orange line, living in Rosslyn or Courthouse, only 1-2 stops away from Foggy Bottom, is, I think, a lot more convenient to commute to school than if you live on Capitol Hill (you have to go through more stops) or Adams Morgan (where you'd have to change lines).

changj722

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 02:36:06 AM »
Are there quite a few students at GW going into patent law? I plan to go into patent law (Electrical Engineering undergrad), so would this "diversity" advantage actually be a disadvantage at GW?

Thanks in advance.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 11:17:09 AM »
Are there quite a few students at GW going into patent law? I plan to go into patent law (Electrical Engineering undergrad), so would this "diversity" advantage actually be a disadvantage at GW?

Thanks in advance.

Due to the large size of the school, and the fact that GW is known for patent law, there's a lot of IP/patent law students.  However, it's not everyone, and this is still an advantage.  Remember you are competiting with different schools for jobs, not just your classmates.  The strength of the program at GW means there's a lot of IP alum - this will only help you.  From what I hear from the career center, students with science backgrounds concentrating in IP still have a leg up in the job search.

lflyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 04:20:45 PM »

Thanks in advance.

Due to the large size of the school, and the fact that GW is known for patent law, there's a lot of IP/patent law students.  However, it's not everyone, and this is still an advantage.  Remember you are competiting with different schools for jobs, not just your classmates.  The strength of the program at GW means there's a lot of IP alum - this will only help you.  From what I hear from the career center, students with science backgrounds concentrating in IP still have a leg up in the job search.

Very true.  Almost all of last year's 1Ls who got summer law firm jobs were in this category according to the CDO.  Also, many firms have separate IP-only interview schedules during OCI in addition to their general interview schedule.  I've heard that IP people get firm jobs no matter where they are ranked in the class.  Not sure if its true but considering how highly GW IP is regarded, I wouldn't be shocked if it was.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »

Thanks in advance.

I think this is generally true but two of my 2L (IP) buddies there are still looking for work there (and they did have good grades). I think that, as with everything, jobs are just a mixed bag.

And with regards to 1L SA jobs, I knew four (non-IP) people besides myself in my section alone who had firm jobs...three were at V50s in DC. So even non-IP people do get 1L jobs (at least before the economy tanked).