Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn 1L taking ?s  (Read 992 times)

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Penn 1L taking ?s
« on: December 20, 2008, 09:14:52 PM »
Well I'm finally done with 1st semester of exams, and it's been quite a ride.  Feels like I haven't been here since the summer, so I thought I'd come back and give a little advice to those who could use it. 

This site was such a help to me last year :) 

Note: I LOVE Penn.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Penn 1L taking ?s
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 09:29:31 PM »
Why does Michigan get better reputation scores than Penn if Penn is soooo great?
_______
.|E|R|S.

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:42:36 PM »
Because Michigan's a great school, and Penn's a better kept secret  ;)

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Glad to see you're still rocking the knight avatar.
B < PL

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 06:45:15 PM »
When I visited and sat in on a torts class, I saw maybe 1 or 2 laptops out of 40 people. How necessary is it to have one in class at Penn? I personally prefer hand-written notes anyway. Also I have a huge suspicion that the internet would prove far too tempting during class. Thoughts?

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 09:07:47 PM »
Nearly every one takes notes on laptops during class.  You witnessed a torts class (not mine, obviously), which apparently has been the outlier 1L class this semester in every section. They've been run/taught differently, with the newest professors, with a heavy policy-spin, rather than tailored toward the black letter law. My guess is that the class you witnessed already made up their minds that computer notes were probably not necessary.

In most classes, however, computers are nearly common place.  There are still some students who insist on taking notes by hand - and it can be done.  To the best of my knowledge, Penn does not require a laptop (though I can't imagine handwriting exams, some people do).  If you do want to do without one, I'd say go for it.  Some of my best friends take hand notes :)

P.S.  Computers do prove very, very tempting.

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:22:57 PM »
When I visited and sat in on a torts class, I saw maybe 1 or 2 laptops out of 40 people. How necessary is it to have one in class at Penn? I personally prefer hand-written notes anyway. Also I have a huge suspicion that the internet would prove far too tempting during class. Thoughts?

Hmm I'd say my section is 60/40 laptops v. handwritten notes. It's completely a personal preference and whatever works best for you. I took notes by hand the entire semester and don't plan on changing next semester. The few times I did bring a laptop to class, I found it very hard to pay attention and I didn't like the way I took notes. You'll find what works best for you.
Penn Law Class of 2011

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »
You don't need a laptop for notes. I find I type faster, so that's nice. OTOH, I do surf the internet waaayyyyy too much. In the end, I don't think surfing during class really hurts though... most of my studying was from copying information out of the textbook into an outline at the end of the semester. I felt pretty good (good, not great) about how the exams went, but I think my inadequacies have more to do with the fact I didn't outline during the semester than the fact I didn't pay attention enough during class.
_______
.|E|R|S.

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:45:24 PM »
You don't need a laptop for notes. I find I type faster, so that's nice. OTOH, I do surf the internet waaayyyyy too much. In the end, I don't think surfing during class really hurts though... most of my studying was from copying information out of the textbook into an outline at the end of the semester. I felt pretty good (good, not great) about how the exams went, but I think my inadequacies have more to do with the fact I didn't outline during the semester than the fact I didn't pay attention enough during class.

I had an eerily similar experience on all of the above points...