Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1Ls: What do You Plan to do Differently Next Semester?  (Read 5995 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1Ls: What do You Plan to do Differently Next Semester?
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:40:20 PM »
You have notes in your casebook at Michigan?  Whoa.  We have none of that, except for maybe Strahi's Property and possibly Torts. 

It seems like our classes are more straightforward: find the issues, cite some cases.

I will definitely skim the cases.  That's what I meant.  Maybe twenty minutes before class to skim and get an idea of what's going on

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 11:50:02 PM »
I also plan on outlining during the weekend, but we'll see.  I'm definitely going to have more time because I don't plan to read the casebook all that often.

Why aren't you going to read the casebook? I'm going to forego the supplemental myself. I thought the supplementals had way better information, then I realized I just wasn't reading the "notes" in-between the cases carefully enough.

That's another thing I'm going to do next semester: skim through the cases, pay more attention to the notes.

Agreed 100%, the notes following the cases in our books were excellent sources of information.  Some of the supplementals were still useful for big-picture type stuff, but the notes were legit.
B < PL

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 11:57:13 PM »
I also plan on outlining during the weekend, but we'll see.  I'm definitely going to have more time because I don't plan to read the casebook all that often.

I think the casebook is actually very helpful if you're willing to put time into it and really pay attention to what you read.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 12:09:09 AM »

I think the casebook is actually very helpful if you're willing to put time into it and really pay attention to what you read.

For what?  Let me skip to a random page in Fransworth:

"Notice two features of Brune v. Belinkoff.  First, the court takes for granted that custom plays a decisive rule on setting the defendant's standard of care: the question is not whether the jury thinks he acted reasonably, but whether the jury thinks he acted with the skill ordinarily found in some community of physicians, whether national or local.  All courts agree on the general approach to deciding medical cases . . . yada yada yada."

Now, here's what an outline of someone who got a good score says:

"What about medical malpractice?

L because national standard seems more relevant, instead of locality rule.  (Brune)"

That's it.  And that's all you need on the exam, when you have to rapidly argue about custom in a hypothetical.  You need to show some understanding of the locality/national rule and how you grapple with it, as well as how custom works as a sword or a shield in most cases, but is more dispositive, rather than probative, in medical cases.

. . .

Okay, so I could spend hours working through this academic b.s. that totally doesn't matter unless you want to be some academic who nobody even reads, especially IN THIS ECONOMY, or I could save my breath and my time and do just as well by nailing the big picture and citing cases/typing like my life depends on it on exam day.

ETA: I guess we'll see when grades come out.

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 12:33:55 AM »
Your plan is to skim the reading + read a hornbook.  I'm just saying that, instead, you could just close read the casebook, because I think all of the information is in there, and it would take the same amount of time.  But you're right, who can say without grades?  I don't think I did particularly well, actually, so I should shut up.

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 01:00:03 AM »
I find Hornbooks to be a rather large waste of time.  I think casebook + E&E is more practical and more useful.
B < PL

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »
I don't know about grades.  I'm sure there will be surprises.  The whole "I thought I did well but didn't" notion is keeping me awake at night, worrying.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 11:52:42 AM »
I couldn't agree more, and I realize that, say, with Levmore, whose tests are solely policy.  Have you looked at 2008?  He asks two policy question.  No BLL.

I always do my research about what the professor wants.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 11:54:58 AM »
I couldn't agree more, and I realize that, say, with Levmore, whose tests are solely policy.  Have you looked at 2008?  He asks two policy question.  No BLL.

Well done!  You'll get in everywhere you apply! 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 12:14:14 PM »

Well done!  You'll get in everywhere you apply! 

Can't tell whether you're being sarcastic.  Rebuttable presumption that you are.