Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1Ls: What do You Plan to do Differently Next Semester?  (Read 6181 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1Ls: What do You Plan to do Differently Next Semester?
« on: December 20, 2008, 01:27:39 AM »
I plan to bring a laptop to Levmore's Torts; study the BLL more thoroughly during the semester, rather than at the end of it; and try to enjoy and appreciate the non-exam schedule a lot more.

Otherwise, I don't know what I missed.  Hopefully, grades will help me make more sense of what just happened.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: 1Ls: What do You Plan to do Differently Next Semester?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:15:23 PM »
Here here on the BLL. My Criminal Law exam was ALL about the MPC... even stuff that was just casually mentioned once in class became (what I presume to be) extra points on the exam. I think I may have impressed my professor with a little bit of intratextual statutory interpretation I argued with a provision we didn't study, but I wonder what could have been.

The other thing I'm going to do differently is outline by the chapter. Every time we finish a chapter or section on the syllabus, I'm outlining that motha' fucker to make my job that much easier at the end. This time around, I spent the 3 days before every test racing to go through every page of the book and my notes to "boil it all down" in a semi-decent outline.
_______
.|E|R|S.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Here here on the BLL. My Criminal Law exam was ALL about the MPC... even stuff that was just casually mentioned once in class became (what I presume to be) extra points on the exam. I think I may have impressed my professor with a little bit of intratextual statutory interpretation I argued with a provision we didn't study, but I wonder what could have been.

The other thing I'm going to do differently is outline by the chapter. Every time we finish a chapter or section on the syllabus, I'm outlining that motha' fucker to make my job that much easier at the end. This time around, I spent the 3 days before every test racing to go through every page of the book and my notes to "boil it all down" in a semi-decent outline.

Well, I was lucky enough to read LSD and realize that the BLL was crucial from the outset, and taking practice tests reinforced that notion, but, this time, I'll definitely keep up with it all the way through the semester.  @#!* you, policy.  From now on, I'm skipping class whenever I feel like it and ignoring everything the professors say.

Sorry to hear about that, but, dude, you're at Michigan.  How's the 1L job search going?

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »
Outline as I go.  There is no point in waiting until later in the semester.  You can do it from day one.  You'll probably learn the material better that way, and it will make exam period that much easier.
Michigan 2L

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:17:01 PM »
Outline as I go.  There is no point in waiting until later in the semester.  You can do it from day one.  You'll probably learn the material better that way, and it will make exam period that much easier.

this. I sort of outlined from the beginning this semester too, but what I did was not really usable. Now that I've got a better sense of the big picture I think/hope I'll be a lot more efficient.
CLS 2011

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:08:56 PM »
I wouldn't outline day-to-day... I think its important to wait until the end of the "section" you're on, so you can get the "mini" big picture. But yeah, it would've been great to spend my studying taking the subject "to the next level" rather than just making myself competent.

tL, did you take the Bagenstos monster? I think I spent about 1 solid hour of the test, in one block, just staring at the wall for each of the two essay questions.
_______
.|E|R|S.

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 11:12:29 PM »

QFT.  Definitely going to be doing that.
B < PL

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
I wouldn't outline day-to-day... I think its important to wait until the end of the "section" you're on, so you can get the "mini" big picture. But yeah, it would've been great to spend my studying taking the subject "to the next level" rather than just making myself competent.

Agreed to an extent.  I plan on outlining every weekend (Let's see if it happens).

tL, did you take the Bagenstos monster? I think I spent about 1 solid hour of the test, in one block, just staring at the wall for each of the two essay questions.

Nope.  Thank God.  I'm not in your big section.  I would've killed myself if a had to sit and work on Con Law for 8 hours.  I was done in 4 quick hours.  I missed the stupidest issue in my final, but I'm over it.   I'm anxious to get grades back just to see how I did, but we have to wait until late January.  Screw that.
Michigan 2L

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 11:34:31 PM »
I also plan on outlining during the weekend, but we'll see.  I'm definitely going to have more time because I don't plan to read the casebook all that often.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 11:37:05 PM »
I also plan on outlining during the weekend, but we'll see.  I'm definitely going to have more time because I don't plan to read the casebook all that often.

Why aren't you going to read the casebook? I'm going to forego the supplemental myself. I thought the supplementals had way better information, then I realized I just wasn't reading the "notes" in-between the cases carefully enough.

That's another thing I'm going to do next semester: skim through the cases, pay more attention to the notes.
_______
.|E|R|S.