Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: trying to go to a new state for the summer.  (Read 1710 times)

Em Woods

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
trying to go to a new state for the summer.
« on: December 19, 2008, 12:33:29 AM »
I am wanting to pick up and go to SC for a summer job, as I want to work there after I graduate. I did decently on 3 of my 4 classes, but bombed the last one. I don't even know what I did wrong, I just got my grades a few hours ago and I'm shaken up. I can possibly live there for free with family and friends but will still have to pay bills, so I can't work for free even though I am fully aware that grade shot my gpa. I have a social work degree and can maybe get a job at an agency or something. Should I try to swing that this summer? I should I stay back in the school's town, doing some job there or taking a summer class? Any advice is appriciated.
"Anything easy ain't worth a damn" - Coach Woody Hayes

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: trying to go to a new state for the summer.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »
Where do you go to school? If you are out-of-state at a non-top school with just an ok GPA as a 1L it is unlikely you are going to get anything paid in another location.  In fact, you may not be getting anything paid in-state as a 1L, especially in this economy.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »
If you want to work in SC after graduating, I really suggest you go there for the summer.  Try to get a law job.  Lots of small firms will hire students, though the pay is probably not great. 

Do you have ties to the state already?

Em Woods

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »
I have a cousin and a friend in Charleston, and another good friend in Columbia. If I went to Columbia I would have to pay little to no rent. Only problem is I will have a lot of bills to pay so I need to make 10-12 an hour and work full time, and I know its hard to find anything that really pays as a 1L. I got screwed over on a couple of grades royally so that's why I thought working at a social work agency would at least be in the same realm of doing law stuff/ dealing with clients while making ties to the state in addition to getting paid.

Em Woods

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 11:26:40 AM »
Thanks, but I only go to a low T2. It is not a top school obviously, although I do love where I attend and am happy to be there.

Em Woods

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:21:37 PM »
I knew it would put me behind for some things. However it's the first semester and I still gotta try to set myself up for something this summer. The ideas you mentioned about legalaid and public defender are great and I think I would enjoy work like that anyway. However, am I correct in assuming they are unpaid jobs? I know getting that experience is important, however I need to do something paid no matter what because I  have a credit card bill, rent, and a new computer to pay off. I am afraid to take out a private loan over the summer because debt is such an easy thing to spiral out of control. Do many people take out the private loan?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 02:19:48 PM »
If all you need is $10-$12 an hour, I would suggest you look at small firms in SC.

You can definitely work a law job over the summer and get paid.  I had friends below the median at a T2 who worked for small firms and solos, making $10-$15 an hour in a cheap COL area.  If you're allowed to use your Lexis/Westlaw account over the summer, you've got a very valuable commodity to a small firm or solo who doesn't have an unlimited search contract.

1) Plan a trip to South Carolina that will allow you to interview (spend 2-5 weekdays), either in January or spring break.
2) Go to findlaw.com, martindale.com, and if need be, yellowpages.com, and look up solo lawyers and small firms practicing in a field that interests you.  Also use Martindale and/or ask your CSO to see if there are any alumni of your school in those cities.
3) Send them targeted cover letters with a resume (get your CSO's advice about whether to include your GPA), explaining your desire to practice in CITY and get more exposure to PRACTICE AREA.  Also tell them you will be available for an interview in CITY on DATES (or whenever if you're close enough to make a short trip).
4) About 10 days after sending the letter, follow up with a phone call if you haven't heard anything. 

It's probably too late to interview in January.  Interviewing during spring break might be more viable time-wise, but it's a little late in the semester.  If you're close enough to SC that you could drive and only miss 1-2 days of class, then you can do it piecemeal at any time.

Good luck.  :)

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 02:46:28 PM »
You are not allowed to use your westlaw or lexis account over the summer for firm-related research.  Read the terms; you can DEFINITELY get flagged and be charged personally for the searches.

Depends on the school's contract.  That's why I said
If you're allowed...

As you point out, however, most likely OP will not be allowed to do so.

Regardless, paying law jobs are out there if people look for them.  Some small firms/solos do not regularly hire law clerks, but if approached they will do so.  Some of them view it as an aspect of their own commitment to professionalism and mentoring.  OP should keep in mind that, regardless of where he/she works, OP's employment will probably not be a financially-sound business decision for an employer.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 08:36:45 PM »
Do you know of any schools with contracts that allow for students to use Lexis and Westlaw for private firm work? I know that some allow you to use it for pro bono/non-profit work, law review during the summer, RA jobs for professors and other academic use (moot court/mock trial) or extracurricular work, but I have never heard of a contract that would allow a student to use their school access for summer employment with a private firm that would otherwise have to be paying for the searches. 

I only know about my school's, and it does not allow students to use it for any paid work, including private law firms and RA positions.  Our Westlaw K also does not allow students to use the service for unpaid government work.  So, there are variations among schools.  Most likely OP will not be able to use it at a firm. 

In this market, I don't think OP has a great shot at a paid firm gig in South Carolina and should certainly make back-up plans for unpaid jobs.

OP should apply and see what happens.