Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This makes no sense  (Read 833 times)

finethanks

• View Profile
This makes no sense
« on: December 18, 2008, 05:01:55 PM »
When I was a senior in college, I applied to only one law school early action and was accepted.  I turned it down, however, to join Teach For America.  Now in my 2nd year of TFA I reapplied to the same school and was deffered to the regular admission pool!  How does this make sense?  My grades didn't change and I have better life experience.  I don't get it!

stl1622dc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: This makes no sense
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 05:06:54 PM »
Applications are up everywhere so there's better competition. Sorry...

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 05:07:39 PM »
Time have changed and applicatations/applicants are more competitive IN THIS ECONOMY
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »
Maybe they're just mad at you for turning down their offer two years ago

Maybe this time you'll decide to join the Peace Corps

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:02:59 PM »
When I was a senior in college, I applied to only one law school early action and was accepted.  I turned it down, however, to join Teach For America.  Now in my 2nd year of TFA I reapplied to the same school and was deffered to the regular admission pool!  How does this make sense?  My grades didn't change and I have better life experience.  I don't get it!

So there was this girl my freshman year in college who had real hots for me but I decided to do a year abroad and turned her down.  When I came back she told me to call her in a month or so.  Gee, I wonder why?

I also wonder what you taught those kids about lessons in life...
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

themanwithoutaname

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:16:47 PM »
Generally speaking, people join teach for america to improve their resumes, and get into better graduate schools.  People who aren't trying to get into better graduate schools defer for a few years, and attend later on the same acceptance.

Because you rejected their initial acceptance rather than defer, they reasonably believe that you're shooting for a better school.  Why accept you if you're just going to go to a better school?  It brings their acceptance rate up, lowering their US News rank, which is unfortunately near the top of admission directors list of priorities.

If you really want to get in, make sure admissions know that you're serious about going there, and that they aren't just your "safety school" because you were accepted in the past.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:23:42 PM »
Generally speaking, people join teach for america to improve their resumes, and get into better graduate schools.  People who aren't trying to get into better graduate schools defer for a few years, and attend later on the same acceptance.

Because you rejected their initial acceptance rather than defer, they reasonably believe that you're shooting for a better school.  Why accept you if you're just going to go to a better school?  It brings their acceptance rate up, lowering their US News rank, which is unfortunately near the top of admission directors list of priorities.

If you really want to get in, make sure admissions know that you're serious about going there, and that they aren't just your "safety school" because you were accepted in the past.

TITCR
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN