Law School Discussion

In need of soul searching moral support: NYC vs LA

In need of soul searching moral support: NYC vs LA
« on: December 18, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
Hi guys, I'm at the cross roads of a huge decision, and I would thank you so much if you could give any insight.

Ok here is the deal:

I just got off the phone with admissions with Cardozo law and told them that moving to NYC in 2 weeks would be difficult for me. I asked them if I could be moved to the Summer start program, and they said yes with 1 caveat: To differ my admissions to Summer I would be required to sign a binding admissions contract and cancel all of my admissions to all other law school.

Here are some facts I have to consider

Pro:
Cardozo is the best law school I will probably be admitted to, and it's a pretty good one. Cardozo places very decently in biglaw firms in Manhattan and it has some top tier programs. Median salary coming out of school is a respectable amount higher than my first choice Loyola. Cardozo is also located in a great area: Greenwich village.

Con:
I want to practice in Los Angeles.  I grew up here and probably want to live here in the future. But, if there was any other place I would choose other than LA, it would be Manhattan. At the very very least it would mean 3-4 years in NYC. It would probably mean 6-10 years in NYC before I would be back in LA. Cost of living in Manhattan is WTF.

I haven't heard back from any Southern California schools yet, but with my scores I would be 50/50, maybe 60/40 getting into Loyola, Pepperdine and U.SanDiego, but nothing guaranteed. Where as admissions into Cardozo is harder than the 3 schools I listed, thank god for being a minority I guess. I was just rejected from early decision from Santa Clara Law and their score range is gpa 3.16-3.59 and lsat 156-161. Cardozo is 3.3-3.7 with lsats of 162-166. This worries me a ton because if I can't get into Santa Clara, what about those LA schools I wanted?

For all intents in purposes, Cardozo may be the best school I get into and the possibility exists that I may not get into any of the LA schools. Or I might. But Cardozo wants an answer in 7-10 days. I won't see any admittance letters for at least 2-8 weeks. A yes means a new life in New York for a good number of years before I can come back to LA. A no means I'm turning down Cardozo and I may end up somewhere a lot worse.

fudge.

HELP ME!

Re: In need of soul searching moral support: NYC vs LA
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:04:35 AM »
I honestly don't know the answer, but I'd recommend to just write out a list of the costs (moving, living, tuition, going to school in NYC far away from where you ultimately want to practice, etc.) and benefits/opportunities (better ranking, placement stats) and decide if it's a better choice for you than the CA schools you're looking at. Writing up a pretty comprehensive list of the pros and cons of options I'm considering usually at least helps me start to lean one way or the other. Good luck.