Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is going to a 3rd tier school even worth it???  (Read 5062 times)

pawnstar3

• View Profile
Is going to a 3rd tier school even worth it???
« on: December 18, 2008, 09:55:26 AM »
I'm applying to a bunch of law schools for next fall and I'm really trying to get into eitehr Brooklyn Law or Seton Hall.  New York Law is my safe school and I know I can get in since I was accepted there 4 years ago when i first applied to schools.  I have a 3.7 undergrad GPA and in Dec 2003 I scored a 156 on my lsats so i didn't get into anything higher than a 3rd tier school.  I'm re-taking my lsat's in february and i'm hoping to crack 160 so i can get into either brooklyn or seton hall.  My question is that if i don't do as well as i'd like and only wind up getting into new york law, is it even worth it considering all the money i'd be spending?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is going to a 3rd tier school even worth it???
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 10:06:26 AM »
Aren't there other T2 schools in NY Metro you could apply to? Rutgers-Newark, St. Johns etc?

pawnstar3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »
Let's just say i didn;t get into one of those either - my point is that it would seem really difficult to get a good job coming out of a 3rd tier school. 

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:48:42 PM »
The problem in your case isn't the "tier," it's that you're looking at a completely oversaturated region. There are T3 and T4 schools that place very well in their respective regions. New York Law School is not one of those schools. Just think about how many GREAT schools there are in NYC already. Then think about people from "national" schools who are looking to work in NY. There are just not enough good jobs to get all way to way down to a significant portion of the NYLS class.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 01:00:39 PM »
Also, taking the February LSAT for admission in Fall 2009 is really late and you're doing yourself a disservice in the application process (in terms of possibly being able to get into more highly ranked schools if you desire).

Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 02:57:55 PM »
Here is an idea... I know that this is a foreign concept to some people, but there are other legal markets than New York City.  Why don't you try to find a regional school in a region that you could see yourself living in?  If you really want to be a lawyer, then going to a third tier school might be worth it- but find a third tier school that can actually get you a job (even if not in NYC).
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 02:59:42 PM »
The short answer to your question is no.  The long answer is no, with a bunch of reasons given.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 03:16:38 PM »
Just a disclaimer: I am a T3 1L...

The OP asked whether going to a T3 school is "worth" it.

Asking whether something is "worth" it is a very relative question.

Ask yourself...how much will it cost to go to that school?

Ask yourself...how much benefit will you receive from going to that school?

For cost, consider tuition, housing, scholarships, debt at graduation, and what you could be doing/earning for 3 years if you didn't go to law school (opportunity cost).

For benefit, consider where you will be in 3 years and what opportunities you will have then. Call up some alum and figure out where they work, how much they make, how many passed the bar, etc etc...

Balance the two. Hopefully this gives you a starting point when you try to answer your question of whether its worth it.

Hope that helps. If not, lemme know  :)

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »
I HATE this forum because it is filled with pompous and elitist complainers, but it is filled with NYC law students: http://www.jdunderground.com

Most of them went to BLS, Seton Hall, Hofstra, Cardoza, etc. According to those posters "if they ever visited JDUnderground before going to their law school, they would have never gone." They are definitely overdramatic, but if you don't think you can handle their experiences, then a 3rd tier school may not be worth it to you.

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »
I was just talking yesterday to a Widener grad who's now an Assistant DA. If that's the sort of job you're going for, I don't think you'll have too terrible of a time if you go to a T3 and do reasonably well... but if BIGLAW is your deepest heart's desire, you're probably in for a world of sad.