Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which CA T2?  (Read 1464 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which CA T2?
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 05:59:37 PM »
They're all about the same, but I'd take USD for no real good reason.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 06:25:09 PM »
Santa Clara, outside of the evil 2, Stanford and Boalt, the best reputation in the Bay Area, so if you want to live in work here, Santa Clara is your best bet. Also, they have a top-rated IP Program. The faculty are great, and quite motivated to help you to succeed

i think santa clara does have a pretty good rep, but you're also competing against hastings and a lot of people from davis, as well as a bunch of t14ers who want to come here. it's definitely better than other CA T2 schools if you want to practice in northern CA, but biglaw placement isn't that great if that's what you're looking for.

I've come to accept the fact that I'm not going to BIGLAW! which is why I'm looking at the T2 CA schools. Close to home, relatively cheap with scholarships (fingers crossed), and I will never have to salt a sidewalk again.

Thanks for the input so far everyone!   

do you know what you want to do after law school? i'd probably go with the biggest scholarship i got, unless i wanted a particular geographic area of CA.

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »
I have friends that have gone to both schools and now have great jobs, so I think LA placements are probably comparable. My pick would be Loyola based on their public interest programs and placements. My wariness of Pepperdine stems from the high value they place on their Christian (and arguably) conservative mission. Did anyone else see the professor who was outspoken enough to put himself on TV advocating for Yes on Prop 8?
I believe the Prof. in question is a certain Dean Kenneth Star of Clinton fame.  He'll be arguing in front of the CA Supreme Court to invalidate the 18,000 marriges that occured prior to the vote. 

I vote LOYOLA!!!!!!!!
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 07:18:22 PM »
Santa Clara, outside of the evil 2, Stanford and Boalt, the best reputation in the Bay Area, so if you want to live in work here, Santa Clara is your best bet. Also, they have a top-rated IP Program. The faculty are great, and quite motivated to help you to succeed

i think santa clara does have a pretty good rep, but you're also competing against hastings and a lot of people from davis, as well as a bunch of t14ers who want to come here. it's definitely better than other CA T2 schools if you want to practice in northern CA, but biglaw placement isn't that great if that's what you're looking for.

I've come to accept the fact that I'm not going to BIGLAW! which is why I'm looking at the T2 CA schools. Close to home, relatively cheap with scholarships (fingers crossed), and I will never have to salt a sidewalk again.

do you know what you want to do after law school? i'd probably go with the biggest scholarship i got, unless i wanted a particular geographic area of CA.

Honestly, I have no idea of what I'm going to be doing after law school. My doubts about me going to BIGLAW! stem from the fact that I'm not going to a T14/T25 (whatever the cutoff happens to be today) and I'm certainly not willing to drop 150K+ on the 1 in 8 or 1 in 10 chance at BIGLAW! that most T1's offer. I'm trying to go into law school with as open a mind as possible towards future employment. Sure I have ideas of what area I'd like to practice in after finishing, but the only field I have any familiarity with is small potato civil litigation (personal injury, property disputes), so I'm trying not to rule anything out.

I have friends that have gone to both schools and now have great jobs, so I think LA placements are probably comparable. My pick would be Loyola based on their public interest programs and placements. My wariness of Pepperdine stems from the high value they place on their Christian (and arguably) conservative mission. Did anyone else see the professor who was outspoken enough to put himself on TV advocating for Yes on Prop 8?
I believe the Prof. in question is a certain Dean Kenneth Star of Clinton fame.  He'll be arguing in front of the CA Supreme Court to invalidate the 18,000 marriges that occured prior to the vote. 

I vote LOYOLA!!!!!!!!

Let me put a big X through Pepperdine on that list. I thought the law school had distanced itself a little more from the UG institution's christianist leanings, apparently I was mistaken.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 03:25:10 AM »

Honestly, I have no idea of what I'm going to be doing after law school. My doubts about me going to BIGLAW! stem from the fact that I'm not going to a T14/T25 (whatever the cutoff happens to be today) and I'm certainly not willing to drop 150K+ on the 1 in 8 or 1 in 10 chance at BIGLAW! that most T1's offer. I'm trying to go into law school with as open a mind as possible towards future employment. Sure I have ideas of what area I'd like to practice in after finishing, but the only field I have any familiarity with is small potato civil litigation (personal injury, property disputes), so I'm trying not to rule anything out.

I vote LOYOLA!!!!!!!!

Let me put a big X through Pepperdine on that list. I thought the law school had distanced itself a little more from the UG institution's christianist leanings, apparently I was mistaken.

I thought Pepperdine looked pretty good until I realized that Ken Star was the dean. Seriously, if not for that, I would have applied there for a CA school. Instead, I applied to Chapman...
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.