Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which CA T2?  (Read 1453 times)

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Which CA T2?
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:55:14 PM »
All other things being equal (e.g. tuition), which CA T2 would you choose, and why?

Santa Clara, USD, Loyola, Pepperdine, Mcgeorge?
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Which CA T2?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 08:58:51 PM »
Probably USD, because of my impression that they are pretty strong in San Diego, being the only law school in that city, whereas most of those other schools have a lot of competition from other schools in their respective geographic areas. But I'm no expert.

ETA: I would probably say Santa Clara and Loyola after that, just based on my subjective impression from being a law student in California.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

baragon112

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »
All other things being equal (e.g. tuition), which CA T2 would you choose, and why?

Santa Clara, USD, Loyola, Pepperdine, Mcgeorge?

Pepperdine and Loyola are great regional schools and rank in that order. Santa Clara seems to be able to get people high paying jobs. I don't really have an opinion on USD or Mcgeorge.

I would pick Pepperdine out of those options.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 02:28:52 PM »
USD is the big fish in the pond that is San Diego. There are three law schools here two are T4 and then there is USD. For the most part if you network right out of USD you have good job prospects from what I have heard and gathered. Everyone here looks at USD really well.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 02:37:48 PM »
Either Loyola or USD.  I think I'd actually go to Loyola over Pepperdine if I intended to work in Los Angeles because of its proximity to downtown LA.  Malibu is way out of the way and a hellish commute.

USD for the reasons previous posters have already articulated.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

ak2ca

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:12:39 PM »
I have friends that have gone to both schools and now have great jobs, so I think LA placements are probably comparable. My pick would be Loyola based on their public interest programs and placements. My wariness of Pepperdine stems from the high value they place on their Christian (and arguably) conservative mission. Did anyone else see the professor who was outspoken enough to put himself on TV advocating for Yes on Prop 8?

mtbrider59

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:02:48 PM »
Santa Clara, outside of the evil 2, Stanford and Boalt, the best reputation in the Bay Area, so if you want to live in work here, Santa Clara is your best bet. Also, they have a top-rated IP Program. The faculty are great, and quite motivated to help you to succeed

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 01:05:20 PM »
Santa Clara, outside of the evil 2, Stanford and Boalt, the best reputation in the Bay Area, so if you want to live in work here, Santa Clara is your best bet. Also, they have a top-rated IP Program. The faculty are great, and quite motivated to help you to succeed

i think santa clara does have a pretty good rep, but you're also competing against hastings and a lot of people from davis, as well as a bunch of t14ers who want to come here. it's definitely better than other CA T2 schools if you want to practice in northern CA, but biglaw placement isn't that great if that's what you're looking for.

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 02:13:06 PM »

i think santa clara does have a pretty good rep, but you're also competing against hastings and a lot of people from davis, as well as a bunch of t14ers who want to come here. it's definitely better than other CA T2 schools if you want to practice in northern CA, but biglaw placement isn't that great if that's what you're looking for.

I've come to accept the fact that I'm not going to BIGLAW! which is why I'm looking at the T2 CA schools. Close to home, relatively cheap with scholarships (fingers crossed), and I will never have to salt a sidewalk again.

Thanks for the input so far everyone!   
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

Big Boy Pants

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 02:17:43 PM »
I vote USD, but I'm biased.  I think the big-fish small-pond thing applies.

I think Loyola is probably the best all-around choice.
3.6x/17X

In: USD, GULC, Penn, NYU, Chicago
Out: Not yet
Waiting: HCB and UCLA