Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfering from cooley any advice  (Read 2280 times)

tgk116

• View Profile
    • Email
Transfering from cooley any advice
« on: December 17, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »
hey, just wondering your honest opinion of my chances of transferring from cooley to a dc area law school. I am going into my third semester in spring 09, and ranked in the top 15% with a 3.69 gpa. I would like to be in the DC area but here is a list of schools i have been considering; university of maryland, howard, penn state (dickinson), west virginia university, and American. I have been reading a lot of posts and blogs all over the web saying that George washington and Georgetown are transfer friendly, but i wonder even for people from cooley. Like most law students, i do not have enough money to apply to all of these schools and would appreciate any help you could provide in narrowing down the field.

Thank you,

TheDuderino

• View Profile
Re: Transfering from cooley any advice
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:25:46 PM »
Go to yahoo and search "transferapps". Click on the yahoo group that pops up. It will take you to the message board - some good stuff here. But the awesomeness of this group is realized with the accompanying database. You'll see the database link on the left side of the screen. Click it and enjoy.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »
GW is very transfer friendly.  From my experiences, law schools are pretty random with transfer application acceptances, so you may want to suck it up and pay for as many applications as possible.  In the scheme of things, the extra 50-75 dollars means very little.  Especially if you are looking at paying 60K a year for GW (with living expenses).  That said, make sure the schools will even consider you though before applying.  Schools may limit transfers to students who are still technically 1Ls.  Just something to make sure of first.  Anyway, good luck to you!

SCOOTERNINJA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 03:54:28 AM »
and ranked in the top 15% with a 3.69 gpa

Isn't a 3.69 at Cooley much better than top 15%?  I thought that they had a really low curve.  I am thinking a 3.69 puts you as one of the top students at Cooley and therefore a good transfer applicant.

Orbits

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 03:53:42 PM »
someone has to point out my error because it seems GW isn't as transfer friendly as everyone thinks, at least relatively speaking. They took 33 transfers in 2008, which is about the same or less than many other top 20 schools (see e.g. GULC took 100, UCLA took 38, CLS took 40, Boalt took 37, HLS took 34, Mich took 37)...

mtbrider59

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »
You may also want to reconsider what you consider DC area- West VCirginia is a stretch, as is Penn State, they're knd of close but not really;I'd include George Mason on your list as its definitely DC metro. If you're still thinking about schools in the region but not really DC area, I'd add UVA and/or Washington & Lee as well. I can't speak to any of their transfer policies. I guess you could put UDC on your list as well.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »
I think transferapps suggests that GW loosened up its transfer policies this past cycle.

Honestly, it holds that you only have NO CHANCE when you DO NOT APPLY.  I weaseled my way into the T14 from a T3 transfer, I was within top 10% and my school had a better reputation than Cooley, but if we're just talking about objective metrics (e.g. median LSAT, bar passage rates...) then it was basically the same quality of academic institution.

With top 15% at Cooley and wanting to go to a DC school, I would cross my fingers and write a good application to all of them.  My pure speculation is that you have a very good chance at UDC, a good chance at Catholic, an alright chance to American, a possible shot at GW, and a shot in the dark at GULC. 

UMD, Baltimore and GMU are in there somewhere too... good luck.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 05:21:33 AM »
Advice: DAMN GOOD MOVE! ;D