Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need HELP from you future Lawyers!  (Read 1101 times)

lakers13

• View Profile
    • Email
Need HELP from you future Lawyers!
« on: December 17, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »
I am NOT asking for legal advice, but only asking if I was in the wrong, becuase I know we're not supposed to ask for legal advice. Ok here's the situation: Last weekend here in Arkansas, me and a lot of friends were drinking inside of one of their apartments. A girl accidentally hit the fire alarm lever and some cops came up there and arrested me for public intox! I NEVER left the apartment, I was inside, not in public! Also, I am only 19 and almost all of us were under 21. He gave me a breathlizer and said that I did not blow hard enough so he cited me with Obstruction of Justice and arrested me for that and PI. Thanks for your opinions!

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need HELP from you future Lawyers!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:11:57 AM »
If this isn't asking for legal advice, I don't know what is. Get a lawyer, kid.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »
Telling you if you were wrong requires interpreting the law which = giving you legal advice.

Get a lawyer x2
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:09:09 PM »
Yeah, sorry, but we can't help you X 3. 

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:24:07 PM »
LOL if you wanted to trick us into giving you advice you should have presented the information in the form of a hypothetical.  Go get a lawyer. 

bodhi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 02:15:28 AM »
Its probably not a good idea to ask law students for legal advice anyways. What we learn in law school are basic principles and basic rules, but more theory and issue spotting than anything else. I have already been asked for legal advice at least a dozen times and I am only a 2L. My legal advice to them was to ask a lawyer.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 07:01:03 PM »
Well, I'm a lawyer, but I still say what the others have correctly said:  get a lawyer.  I'm licensed only in Nevada, and unless you lived in Nevada, or the incident took place in Nevada, I would be engaging in the unauthorized practice of law to say anything further.  With that, I'll leave you with one of my favorite George Carlin quotes:  "If you have a legal problem, guess how you determine whether or not you need a lawyer? You see a lawyer. Isn't that weird?"

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 07:54:09 PM »
Yes, you were "in the wrong" for drinking underage.  That's the only non-legal advice someone can give you.

Now, as to the legal issues related to the charges against you, I recommend talking to a lawyer.