Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is the longest acceptable gap in one's resume?  (Read 830 times)

The Thread Starter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What is the longest acceptable gap in one's resume?
« on: December 17, 2008, 01:30:01 AM »
How long can you go between jobs without it raising a red flag?

senseless

• View Profile
Re: What is the longest acceptable gap in one's resume?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:13:27 AM »
I'm not sure exactly how law schools look at resumes, but I treated mine as a "fill-in-the-gap" sort of document. It looked nothing like any resume I have ever written in the past for employment consideration. I had already told the schools a lot about myself through my Personal Statement and other application questions, so I used the resume to really get into some details about my career acomplishments. Then again, I'm a musician with not much work experience outside restaurant employment. My resume focused on my music achievements (including producing audio CDs and developing new skills along the way, such as graphic design) and college education, and I barely touched on my work experience. In fact, I had a couple gaps in my employment that I didn't worry about too much. I figured it made more sense to focus on music achievements than to include 3 or 4 meaningless short-term jobs just to fill in time gaps in my employment history. Each situation is different, obviously, but I got accepted so the resume was good enough.

***Disclaimer: None of the above is meant to be legal advice, just one man's experience.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: What is the longest acceptable gap in one's resume?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 03:46:44 AM »
Just asked my uncle who's the dean of a prestigious law school.

The answer is 97 days.
_______
.|E|R|S.