Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SO SCREWED!  (Read 4883 times)

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SO SCREWED!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »
3,000 words is roughly 10 pages double-spaced.  If your writing more than this for a 3hour exams then chances are you are off topic somewhere in your analysis.

All of the model student responses were 15-16 double-spaced pages for one of my classes' 3-hour exam.  They didn't really go meandering into the wilderness or get too verbose, either. 
At least I can f-ing think.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 01:07:51 PM »
I WISH I had 2000-3000 words

I had a test where we were not allowed 2000-3000 characters for an essay question.

That was painful. 

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 01:25:21 PM »

I had a test where we were not allowed 2000-3000 characters for an essay question.

That was painful. 

Damn, that's rough.  I hit 17,000 on a 90 min Torts essay, and I was pretty concise.
B < PL

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 01:27:30 PM »

That was painful. 

Damn, that's rough.  I hit 17,000 on a 90 min Torts essay, and I was pretty concise.

Yeah. To be fair, at least we knew that this was the prof.'s MO, so it wasn't a total shocker.  It was lower than expected, though. 

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 06:55:15 PM »
When it comes to rationalizing word limits, I think one can chalk it down to the laziness of the professor, but I think you can also chalk it down to preparing us for the real world, for in the real world, local court rules often limit the amount of words and/or pages in the pleadings/briefs that you file with the court.  Then again, maybe we have such local court rules because of the laziness of judges/clerks, too...

nycdog

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 10:47:43 AM »
When it comes to rationalizing word limits, I think one can chalk it down to the laziness of the professor, but I think you can also chalk it down to preparing us for the real world, for in the real world, local court rules often limit the amount of words and/or pages in the pleadings/briefs that you file with the court.  Then again, maybe we have such local court rules because of the laziness of judges/clerks, too...

whose side are you on?

p.s. i've been working at a law firm here in NY. this is the first time i'm hearing about a page/word limit. but once again, my firm doesn't do class actions.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 11:06:47 AM »
The word limits on my Reg State final were brutal. The last question only allotted 350 words... and it was on the broader theoretical basis of the entire class. I could have written forever. Blah.

Overall my finals ran about 3,000 (2 hr Ks) 7,000 (8hr CivPro) and 2,500 (word limit - 4 hour Reg State). I wonder if I went off base on Ks, since I wrote so much in such a short amount of time.
Vandy 1L... really?

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 03:28:00 AM »

whose side are you on?

p.s. i've been working at a law firm here in NY. this is the first time i'm hearing about a page/word limit. but once again, my firm doesn't do class actions.

I'm on nobody's side.  I'm just stating the TRUTH.  If you choose to ignore it, then that's fine, albet misguided.  Besides, all of us law-school graduates had to put up with word limits on our finals and Law Review competition papers, so it's kind of hard to feel sorry for future and/or current law students who are unwilling to embrace the concept of "brevity equals clarity."  And BTW, as a lawyer, I *do* have to adhere to word limits as per my state's local court rules.  Somehow, I seriously doubt that no jurisdiction in New York has word limits.  Just because you haven't heard of page/word limits in your experience doesn't mean that such limits don't exist.  Therefore, I'd check the local court rules again because, after all, law-school research/writing classes don't focus on local-court rules, for obvious reasons.

giant_slayer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 06:16:01 AM »
Please post what your grade was at your earliest convenience. I am pulling for you buddy
david taking down goliath is not an exception to the rule, it IS the rule.