Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Having Law Degree from Foreign Degree but LLM from US.  (Read 9166 times)

thegourmetpig

• View Profile
Re: Having Law Degree from Foreign Degree but LLM from US.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »
I agree. Again, it just depends on how you view risk. If you want to be safe, go to a T14. If you think you have something that will make you tops in your class somewhere else, and know that you may want to practice a specific type of law (for which the LLM is needed), then maybe).
Michigan '12

ths2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.  

Do I think I'll be able to get into a good LLM?  Yes.  I have 4 years experience in a major investment bank and a high undergrad GPA, so I think that will help me get into a top LLB program in UK and subsequently a T14 LLM program in the states.

I should also add that becoming a professor is of great interest to me, as well.  LLMs are the norm in academia, right?

And to best honest, working insane hours in a BigLaw NY firm isn't too enticing to me.  Working in a smaller firm would suit me just fine.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 03:44:06 PM »
LLMs are not necessarily the norm at all.  Clerkships and published papers ARE. 

Getting into a good LLB does not mean getting into a good LLM.  You have to do VERY WELL in that LLB.  Keep in mind that most LLM programs are only a few dozen students.  That means maybe 500-600 LLMs are accepted in T14 programs every year!  Those aren't great odds...

If being a professor is what interests you, you should definitely go to a T10 American law school.

I'm not trying to be a male private part; I just think you should know what you're getting into before taking a very unconventional path to your goals.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

ths2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 04:10:48 PM »
You're not at all.  Thanks for all the great advice.  I will continue to do more research and keep all of my options open.

06boya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
as a foreign student majoring in law, let me be straight with this.
In the foreign lawyers' eyes, a JD is much more valuable than LLM, all the way from the the education itself to the prospective employment.
therefore, why don't you make it so complicated? if you were to have that 4 more years in LLB, I think you would pass the LSAT with a high score already!

edbtz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »
ths2,

I have been seriously considering doing the same thing (accelerated LLB program) and then coming back to the US for an LLM (or potentially staying in the UK). I was curious to see what you ended up doing? Or what conclusions you came to in your research.

Here is what I found
1. Work Permits are probably the biggest obstacle in securing a training contract
2. From my research only NY and CA bars will accept people without JDs (if you have at least 3 years of studying law). - So an LLM would be al most necessary if you do the 2 year program.
3. Law firms are less likely to offer you a training contract (need at least 2 years to complete become a solicitor) if you are an international student - given the unnecesary work of filing for a worker's permit.
4. If you are not at the top of your class (2:1) and you are not an EU citizen you are screwed 

With that being said I am still considering the option.
Thoughts?

has10

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 11:20:02 PM »
This is what I actually found in the rules and regulations of the American Bar Association of different states

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/careers/students-and-graduates/resources/guides/american-bar-examination.pdf