Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: challenge to urm's  (Read 24805 times)

Kohinoor

• View Profile
Re: challenge to urm's
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 12:16:15 PM »
I wasn't talking to you, primarily, but rather to Ninja, who had found what to pick at here and there whilst ignoring the substance (and the meaning) of the post, and seemed to be desperately trying to navigate the thread away from the awkwardness of being confronted with actual contemporary racism directed at a law-school-applicant peer. I'm sorry, did you want to pick a fight with me?
I did kinda but then I checked your LSN cycle.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »
Did anyone ever tell you to become a paralegal?

Regardless, this person was able, off the top of his/her head, to come up with somewhere between two and four easily-digestible soundbites of racism, directed at him/her, in his/her own life.

Can you do that? Come up with two to four digestible soundbites, suitable for this kind of post (i.e. concise one-liners), where someone treated you badly because of who you are, how you were born, or the color of your skin? In a way that goes to history, prejudice, power, and hate?

This is completely different than general screwed up things happening to people. I assure you, this person has certainly experienced screwed-up things in his/her life that were individual in nature--e.g. a friend dropping him/her, a teacher being a male private part, whatever, the usual *&^% that does happen to everyone.

But that's not what's at issue here, nor is that what s/he brought up. What's at issue are the OTHER kinds of screwed up *&^%--the kind of screwed up *&^% that does not (by and large) happen to me, or to you, where someone treats us badly because of who we are, the way we were born, the color of our skin, in a way that goes to history, prejudice, power, and hate.

A friend dropping you is not an injustice. It's a misfortune. Experiencing racism, directed at you, on the contrary IS an injustice. Someone calling you a shithead is someone being mean to you, and not an injustice. Someone calling you a f-ing [epithet-of-choice] is racism, and it is an injustice. It affects you differently.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember all of the myriad times in my life when I have been called a female dog (or its other charming variations)*. But I DO remember, absolutely clearly, when, on my way to synagogue, a car full of young men screamed out at us, "f-ing kikes!" One was individual--meanness, not injustice. The other was group-based, directed at me not because of my individual personality but because of how they perceived a group I belonged to. And it went to history, prejudice, power, and hate. And it was an injustice, and it did affect me, and I do remember it. I am blessed (in an atheistic sense) in many other ways, so my personhood hasn't suffered the way racism and prejudice affect other groups of people who are more put-upon. But it's an injustice. You shouldn't trivialize it. It does affect people. Just because you've been lucky/blessed enough to have avoided it doesn't mean you get to treat it like it doesn't exist.

*Although, for the record, some of the more misogynistic ones, I do remember.

Some calling you a name, a friend dropping you, or a teacher being a male private part. Lollerskates. This is exactly what I'm talking about. You have no real conception of what something screwed up is. Racism and prejudice scratch the surface. I don't dispute that this may affect people, but seriously, you get past *&^% or you don't, and nothing here is worth keeping around on your psyche for very long. Come back when you've engaged in some gun play or some other exciting endeavors, then we might have SOMETHING to talk about, and even that's not worth having your life deeply affected by.

I've never been told to be a paralegal, but I've been told, in no particular order, to consider going to work in a factory, that quitting Wal-Mart was a poor career move, that quitting a call center job was a poor career move, to consider going to deliver phone books, and about 20 other occupationally retarded things. Paralegal is far more prestigious than anything above and pays better. I doubt race factored in at all.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »
Can you do that? Come up with two to four digestible soundbites, suitable for this kind of post (i.e. concise one-liners), where someone treated you badly because of who you are, how you were born, or the color of your skin? In a way that goes to history, prejudice, power, and hate?

Coming from mister "I was raised a poor white boy in a black neighborhood, where's my AA" this is going to be good.

Your lack of reading comprehension is predictable. Never did I say I was raised in a black neighborhood, just that everyone was equally poor and now the black kids get a leg up. Good to see you equate blacks with poor people.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 03:49:17 PM »
I wasn't talking to you, primarily, but rather to Ninja, who had found what to pick at here and there whilst ignoring the substance (and the meaning) of the post, and seemed to be desperately trying to navigate the thread away from the awkwardness of being confronted with actual contemporary racism directed at a law-school-applicant peer. I'm sorry, did you want to pick a fight with me?

The substance is that there is no substance.

I never navagate away from anything, I just calls it like I sees it.

Peer...

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
So people just need to get over it?
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »

Indeed. You either let your life be dictated by the past, or you move on and begin to dictate your future.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »

Indeed. You either let your life be dictated by the past, or you move on and begin to dictate your future.

What a strange way of seeing things.  If I get hit by a car and I sue the driver, am I allowing my life to be dictated by the past or am I moving on and dictating my future?  And I am not trying to suggest that this is analogous, so please don't bother arguing that point.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »

except that it still happens.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »

except that it still happens.

And that's why you keep soldiering through. There is no "win" point in the game.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »

What a strange way of seeing things.  If I get hit by a car and I sue the driver, am I allowing my life to be dictated by the past or am I moving on and dictating my future?  And I am not trying to suggest that this is analogous, so please don't bother arguing that point.

There does seem to be something bizarre about a forward looking viewpoint around here.

And it's not analogous. You're within your rights to sue the driver, but you shouldn't let the fact you got hit mean that your life is forever altered by it. Even if you get seriously screwed up in said car accident, you take you cane and hobble your way on down the road. That, or you spend your life rolling out of the way anytime a car comes within 15 feet of you.