Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: E&E or other recommendations for Crim Law or Crim Pro?  (Read 2736 times)

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
E&E or other recommendations for Crim Law or Crim Pro?
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »
I've particularly enjoyed Glannon's E&Es for CivPro and less so for Torts, and I'm wondering for next semester if anyone has any particularly strong recommendations for any supplements for Crim Law or Crim Pro that they found helpful. 

Thanks.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: E&E or other recommendations for Crim Law or Crim Pro?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:38:24 PM »
My prof recommended Dressler on Crim Pro, but I didn't use it personally.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:40:03 PM »
tag for Crim.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:44:51 PM »
My advice, donít take Crim Pro, but if you have to I got the Legal Path Series keyed to my textbook, it was ok, but my prof had this 10 step method we had to use on all questions so it really did not help me on the exam. Nothing helped me on that exam.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:27:03 PM »

Dressler's CDs on both subjects.  The crim law Understanding book (also by Dressler) is also great.

I aced crim law.

I am positive I did not ace crim pro, but that's because I slacked off, not because the supplement sucked. My prof also rocked. I really have no excuse.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »
I've heard from others that Dressler is great for crim. law or crim. pro., but I haven't used them personally.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:02:50 AM »
I didn't use a supplement for crimpro, but Dressler's crimlaw supplement (the Understanding series) is great.  We used it as an assigned text in my class.  I have heard that the Dressler supplement is very good for cops & robbers and the E&E is good for bail to jail.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 01:08:48 PM »
Would someone mind explaining the differences between crim pro and crim law? I'm guessing that crim pro is like civ pro, and that crim law is like con law for criminals, but I don't really know. Thanks.

Crim Law was a lot of common law definitions of crimes and learning about mens rea (mental state requirements for crimes) and stuff, at least the way we learned it. Crim Pro was all about the 4th, 5th, and 6th amendments, and basically what rights people have before trial starts, and what procedures the police have to follow to keep it constitutional (I think real crim people like P call the Crim Pro I took "cops & robbers," where the second half of Crim Pro, which covers rights during the actual trial phase, gets dubbed "bail to jail" Is that right?).
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 01:11:48 PM »
(I think real crim people like P call the Crim Pro I took "cops & robbers," where the second half of Crim Pro, which covers rights during the actual trial phase, gets dubbed "bail to jail" Is that right?).

Totally.  The second part of crimpro is called "adjudication" in some places.  It basically covers what happens once the prosecutor gets involved (charging decisions/discretion, grand jury procedures, jury selection, rights at trial, deliberations, mistrials, etc.).
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »
I call them by the prof's name (e.g. "Did you do the Sully reading?"), but that doesn't translate as well. Le sigh. Our official naming has no rhyme or reason: Criminal Procedure: Investigation (copsnrobbers, which is what the prof called it), and Criminal Adjudication (formerly Advanced Criminal Procedure) (bailtojail). In my assignment book I called them Inv and Adj, but that sucked.

Why is crim pro so goddamned enormous?

But fun?

But enormous?

UGH I HATE THE FINAL I AM WORKING ON.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.