Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Discuss LOR before the class ends?  (Read 1353 times)

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Discuss LOR before the class ends?
« on: December 16, 2008, 06:43:42 PM »
I am going to ask one of my spring semester's prof for a LOR. I was thinking about letting her know right up front that I will be asking for LOR at the end of the semester and, as such, she will see my perform at a high level in the class. Any thoughts?

Also if the class is just 3 exams can she even write a solid LOR?

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Discuss LOR before the class ends?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »
I would definitely suggest waiting until the end of the semester to ask for the letter of recommendation.  At the beginning of the semester, the professor will not know you well enough on which to render such a letter and if the prof. were to accept on that basis, it might not be a letter that you would really want anyways.  At the end of the semester, however, if the professor accepts, you can be more confident that you will receive a letter of recommendation that is worthy of being included in your application.  Three exams is more than enough of a basis for such a letter - it is the effort you put in along the way that is what will make a difference.  Best wishes for a great semester!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law

itzjulz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »
I would say your best bet would be to wait, as well.  while you're taking the class, however, make sure the professor gets to know you.  If you do well on your exams, your performance on them should be enough for the prof to write a letter for you, but you can also improve that recommendation by participating in class, visiting your prof once or twice during office hours, etc.  If the class is large and there's a chance that prof might not be able to put your name to a face at the end of the semester, it's important that they know who you are.  Just don't be a gunner - the obnoxious one who speaks just to hear their own voice.
3.84/167

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »
Thanks guys!