Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2008-2009 Black T-14 Acceptances  (Read 22590 times)

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-2009 Black T-14 Acceptances
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 09:01:48 PM »
I figured we should start this board so that everyone applying this cycle has a better idea of where everyone else within their stat range has been accepted. I'll begin...

Michigan Summer Start  
my numbers are:
3.5, 165
came via snail mail during early December

Congrats.  If you have any questions about UMich, let me know.
Michigan 2L

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 09:03:43 PM »
In at Chicago, ED.

Why did you ED at Chicago?  Just curious... You probably would've gotten into HYS and money at all of CCN.
Michigan 2L

secondsblue

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »
In at Chicago, ED.

Why did you ED at Chicago?  Just curious... You probably would've gotten into HYS and money at all of CCN.

ehhh the lowest accepted Harvard I've really seen (URM) is 165/166. I have no softs to speak of, either. Yale would probably be out too. And between CCN, it's personal preference, and I like Chicago's clerkship and academic prestige. Also, small classes.

Maybe Chicago will still give me money. They still need highly qualified blacks at the school... and there's nothing stopping me from not attending this year altogether if I can't afford it.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 11:15:58 PM »
In at Chicago, ED.

ehhh the lowest accepted Harvard I've really seen (URM) is 165/166. I have no softs to speak of, either. Yale would probably be out too. And between CCN, it's personal preference, and I like Chicago's clerkship and academic prestige. Also, small classes.

Maybe Chicago will still give me money. They still need highly qualified blacks at the school... and there's nothing stopping me from not attending this year altogether if I can't afford it.

They really have no incentive to give you money now.  You probably would've gotten the 64K if you held out.

As far as Harvard, you should've asked around.  I know of 2 black males that got in last year with 163s.  And GPAs MUCH lower than yours.  I'm talking 3.4 ish.  And no strong softs to speak of.  But Chicago is a cool school.  I just hope you fit into the atmosphere there.  Good luck.
Michigan 2L

doubledown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 11:28:45 PM »
As far as Harvard, you should've asked around.  I know of 2 black males that got in last year with 163s.  And GPAs MUCH lower than yours.  I'm talking 3.4 ish.  And no strong softs to speak of.  But Chicago is a cool school.  I just hope you fit into the atmosphere there.  Good luck.

He did:

Top 10, focusing on CCN.

I only have 8 months post-grad work experience. Should I still pursue Northwestern?

Probably not.

(BTW, I have a 3.92, not 3.91 like I posted before. Oops).

Also, yes/no HYS?

Yes, you should apply.  I just wouldn't call them targets.  You have a decent chance at Harvard.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »
And between CCN, it's personal preference, and I like Chicago's clerkship and academic prestige. Also, small classes.

That's how I felt too.  Chicago was (is) my preferred CCN.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »
Gee,

I hope I have this problem next year, of turning down all of the OTHER T14's so that I wouldn't hog up all the spots! ;D

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 12:50:55 AM »
In at Chicago, ED.

They really have no incentive to give you money now.  You probably would've gotten the 64K if you held out.

Yea, I agree with this. They really have no reason to give you money, since you are technically bound to come.

He did:

Top 10, focusing on CCN.

I only have 8 months post-grad work experience. Should I still pursue Northwestern?

Probably not.

(BTW, I have a 3.92, not 3.91 like I posted before. Oops).

Also, yes/no HYS?

Yes, you should apply.  I just wouldn't call them targets.  You have a decent chance at Harvard.

Had I seen this in the Chances thread, I would have told him he had a good shot at HLS, even if that shot came from getting in off the WL.  HLS takes tons of black students (3.8+ gpa) off the wl around May/June.

Regardless, Chi is cool, I almost went there.
Columbia 3L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 06:34:05 AM »
No point in crying over spilled milk.  He will likely be just as successful at Chicago, esp. if biglaw or academia is his goal.

GoneBabyGone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »
In at Harvard, Chicago, NYU, Michigan (Darrow invite), Georgetown

Waiting for:

UVA
Stanford
Yale
Columbia