Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2008-2009 Black T-14 Acceptances  (Read 23403 times)

melbelle

• View Profile
Re: 2008-2009 Black T-14 Acceptances
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2009, 05:17:19 PM »
Hey Melbelle, I think my biggest question would be out of those three schools, why UVA?

[Original, I know ;)]

Taylor Dayne - I donít want to hate on other schools, so Iíll keep my comments limited to UVA. Iíd encourage you to visit each school youíre seriously considering. UVA provides a travel subsidy and there is no substitute for firsthand experience. My visits ended up changing my mind.

Location: Iím from Michigan and was living in Chicago immediately before law school.  At some level, I was just ready for a change. I liked the combination of small town living (for a short while) and moderate climate.  Charlottesville is a college town, but it has enough gatherings, concerts, etc. to keep you from going stir crazy. Even with classes, I made it out to the Jay-Z/TI concert here. Also, DC is a short drive (2 hours) away.

Community: I also wanted a close-knit law school community and since we work and socialize together, UVA students have it.  From softball to the craziness of events such as Feb Club (party every day in February), Dandelion Parade (1L Section Parade complete with dance routines and skits), and Libel Show (a comedy show that pokes fun at law school life) UVA does a great job of helping you build relationships that last beyond law school.

This is a social school. But if the main social scene and/or drinking arenít for you, youíll find your niche. I am at the twilight of my partying days and have gotten to know a ton of folks.

I had reservations about UVA because of its lack of diversity and southern location. Unfortunately, this is a problem for all top law schools. I was wary about having to crusade in law school.  As for racial and ethnic diversity, there are close-knit communities, particularly UVA BLSA (Black Law Students Organization). These groups aim to deliver social, networking, academic, and career support to their members.  UVA has a conservative reputation, but that doesnít mean that it is exclusively conservative. There is no shortage of intellectual diversity; I enjoy the full range of opinions and having folks who donít think like me.

Faculty: UVA faculty were incredibly responsive to me as a prospective applicant.  Faculty quickly responded to my emails about the program and even met with me when I was visiting to answer questions. Since Iíve been here, Iíve had the the opportunity to interact with faculty both in and out of the classroom (e.g., lunch with professors, events at professors homes). 
--
Other folks may have different impressions, so chime in. If you have a specific question, let me know.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »
That sounds about right.  Michigan is too cold, and NWU...why?  Biggest downside to UVA: they allow prescreening for OGI (yes, I know the terminology :P)

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2009, 03:30:30 PM »
So I have been avoiding this thread lol. But I guess I'm done being jealous...in at UMich today!

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2009, 04:04:28 PM »
So I have been avoiding this thread lol. But I guess I'm done being jealous...in at UMich today!

CONGRATS!  If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Michigan 2L

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »
Thanks tL. I remember rooting for you last cycle so you will be my new go-to guy lol.

BJWriter26

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »
Just got TS2! Looks like I may be sitting in Cambridge after all!

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2009, 01:54:53 PM »
BJ, please send me some of your good luck dust for my TS1 :)
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »

Well, happy MLK Day to you!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2009, 11:11:06 AM »
Hold up...vaio...you have to understand that some of the URM applicants may not want to share their numbers. Often times there are trolls on this site and others that take what we post and create a thread along the lines of "URMS getting with X.XX and LSAT scores of XXX...LAME" or the "Black person took my seat at UVA"

Additionally, some people may not want to share their information because they don't want to. Be grateful for the numbers that are on BSLD...I feel there is enough of a pool of accepted applicants to give you an idea of where you need to be.

Furthermore, if you are compelled by a person's story based on their posts and you want to know what there numbers were or what they did in their application...be genuine, PM the person, let them know that you are in the same shoes (i.e. racially, culturally, from the same school, are trying to get an idea of a what a strong applicant is).

People on this board are extremely helpful (A, tL, Special Agent Dana Scully, and Taylor Dayne especially!).

They are not individuals that post here to inflate their egos, the genuinely like to see people (particularly people of color like themselves) be able to earn an admissions spot at some law school. Be cognizant of the fact that most of these individuals work full time jobs and are current law schools students. They are taking the time out of there hectic lives to give prospective applicants like you (and myself) insight...I caution you, don't do anything or say anything that is DEMANDING OF THEM in any fashion...if anything you work on their terms.

Try to be nice...because at the end of the day, you need them more for advice then they need you...just my perspective and welcome to the community.

One last bid of advice...also take the initiative to PM the person, letting them know who you are, your concerns about law school and they are more then likely to help you out...it hasn't failed me once. ;)

Freakin' Congrats to everyone...I always smile when I see someone get in...makes me feel like progress is being made ;D

woo hoo, thanks for the shout out! i'm glad that i've been of some help  :)
Columbia 3L

prophecysp04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2009, 10:17:18 PM »

how long did it take to get the TS2?