Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vanderbilt Class of 2012  (Read 14145 times)

SouthernBelle1L

• View Profile
Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2012
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 03:24:52 PM »
Understandable. Hermitage probably just leaves a bad taste in my mouth since I have to be here working all day, when I'd give anything to be back in school ;o)

I hope that you both love Nashville, congrats on Vandy no matter what you choose!

Canuck996

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »
The choice is easy... Choose Vandy!

As a Vandy 2L, I am more than happy to answer anyone's questions. Either message me or post.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 05:08:15 PM »
I have a couple of questions for you current Vandy people.

How are 1L local prospects looking for this summer?  Also, suppose one doesn't get a 1L big firm job, what else does Nashville offer for a summer position?  Also, are you familiar with the Certificate of Business and Law program, and, if so, what kind of benefits does it offer?

I am also just interested in hearing the various perspectives of actual classes and life at Vandy Law. 
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

Canuck996

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 09:30:56 PM »
I can't speak too much to the 1L prospects because I have not followed up with too many of them on this subject. However, 1Ls are not allowed to speak to employers (not a Vandy rule but an ABA rule) until 12/1 so I don't know if 1Ls have a lot lined up (purely conjecture on my part - hopefully a current 1L can speak to this).

There are a slew of non firm jobs that are available in Nashville. Because it is a larger city there are a lot of job opportunities that aren't available at other "college towns." We actually received an email about a number of public sector jobs available (US Attorney's Office, Various federal and state agencies, etc.) There are also numerous in-house general counsel positions available throughout Nashville if you want to stay in the area.

I am actually in the Law & Business program right now. As far as the benefits I am not sure if it makes a student more marketable but it definitely provides a level of understanding regarding corporate practice. I worked at in-house last summer and I wish I would have had some more of the Law & Business type classes before I was working.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 12:04:09 AM »
I have a couple of questions for you current Vandy people.

How are 1L local prospects looking for this summer?  Also, suppose one doesn't get a 1L big firm job, what else does Nashville offer for a summer position?  Also, are you familiar with the Certificate of Business and Law program, and, if so, what kind of benefits does it offer?

I am also just interested in hearing the various perspectives of actual classes and life at Vandy Law. 

Tomorrow is the PI/Govt info session for local employers.  The list of groups attending is as follows:

ACLU of Tennessee
Davidson County Public Defender's Office
Disability Law & Advocacy Center of TN (DLAC)
District Attorney's Office
Federal Public Defender
IRS - Office of Chief Counsel
Legal Aid Society of Middle TN & the Cumberlands
Metro Legal
National Labor Relations Board
Southern Migrant Legal Services
State Board of Education
Tennessee Ethics Commission
US Attorney's Office - Middle District of TN
US Navy JAGC

Also, per a conversation I had today with our PI career services officer, ATF RSVPed at the last minute saying they're coming again this year.  Lucky for them, CSO ordered an extra lunch just in case... though I think it's funny the only lunch option still available for the ATF rep is vegetarian (not that I mean to stereotype against the good people at ATF).

All of those regularly hire 1Ls looking to stay in Tennessee. Add to them the Land Trust for Tennessee, a number of fed/state/bankruptcy judges, most of the firms in town (for people who did well first semester, though keep in mind Nashville firms generally only do split summers), Bridgestone/Firestone, the Tennessee Regulatory Authority, and then the option of doing research, working in a clinic or interning for the Vanderbilt general counsel.  JNSL and others can talk about 1L OCI since they're just starting to ramp up for that, but so far the only two 1Ls I know who got firm jobs before grades came out are working in TX and FL.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

gatornation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »
Honestly, the 1L OCI shrank a lot this year because of the economy.  I think they said 40%.  Most of the firms are regional southern firms (Birmingham apparently LOVES Vandy). With that said, people have found firm jobs through other means, and honestly, while getting paid is nice, the main thing in 1L summer is to give yourself something to talk about in OCI the next year.  Nonpaying jobs don't really disappear with the economy.
Vanderbilt Law Class of '11

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »
Honestly, the 1L OCI shrank a lot this year because of the economy.  I think they said 40%.  Most of the firms are regional southern firms (Birmingham apparently LOVES Vandy). With that said, people have found firm jobs through other means, and honestly, while getting paid is nice, the main thing in 1L summer is to give yourself something to talk about in OCI the next year.  Nonpaying jobs don't really disappear with the economy.

Are all the Nashville firms still hiring 1Ls? I think Waller took at least 4 1Ls last summer, as did Bass Berry. I interviewed with the Birmingham firms last year just to practice interviewing, but I heard CSO asked people not to do that this year... apparently those of us from Boston didn't do a good enough job convincing them we wanted to relocated to Bham... sorry for that!
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

gatornation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
Yeah, we were told not to use 1L OCI for practice interviews, but a lot of people are doing it anyway.  No idea on the Nashville firms.
Vanderbilt Law Class of '11

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »

Are all the Nashville firms still hiring 1Ls? I think Waller took at least 4 1Ls last summer, as did Bass Berry. I interviewed with the Birmingham firms last year just to practice interviewing, but I heard CSO asked people not to do that this year... apparently those of us from Boston didn't do a good enough job convincing them we wanted to relocated to Bham... sorry for that!

Don't quote me on this, since I'm not in OCI, but I know Neal and Harwell is still in, and several some other Nashville firms.
Vandy 1L... really?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »
Nashville employers at OCI:

Vanderbilt University General Counsel's Office
Tennessee Attorney General
Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms Div., Dept. of Justice (Brentwood)
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings
Burr & Forman, LLP; MGLAW, PLLC
Neal & Harwell
Sherrard & Roe, PLC
U.S. Marine JAGC, USMC Officer Programs (Murfreesboro)
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011