Law School Discussion

Vanderbilt Class of 2012

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2012
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 11:47:11 PM »
Okay, I have heard nothing but amazing things about Vandy Law... which is great.

However, there has to be some negatives... you current Vandy students, what are some of the areas Vanderbilt could improve on/ lags behind in as compared to some similarly ranked schools (UCLA, Georgetown) and similarly located schools (Duke, Emory)?  I know you aren't students at these other schools, but by now I have the feeling you are aware of some not-so-great points.

You know, I have been thinking for a while about this question. I am a transfer student so I have 1 other school to compare Vandy (Not any of the schools you mentioned). I love Vandy and am so greatful I transferred. I really cannot think of one thing about Vandy that I don't like at least as well as my other school. The one drawback I could finally find is that Vandy's cafe does not have soda fountains. Thus, if you need a long caffeine fix you have to go across the street to Subway or purchase a can. Not a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind...

Our Admin Law prof could be a little more engaging, don't you think??? [sorry, figured out who you were already. it is a small school, after all... and there are only so many transfers].

Wow that is impressive. I thought it would take at least a few more posts on here discussing Vandy before anyone realized who I was. I might as well just move to the picture profile.  :)

I definitely agree that Admin law professor could be more engaging, but hey he is technically a Emory professor, so it really can't be a Vandy drawback. :)

What gave me away other than the transfer comment?

I may or may not have a team of sleuth 1Ls who find joy in googling people's usernames and seeing whether or not they happen to have written for blogs at their former school. ;) But yeah, I'll let you know how the self-tar goes if prospectives recognize me at the first ASW next month... it might end up being more hassle than it's worth.  On a related note, school will be adding to the student profiles section soon... they had a photo shoot last year involving a solid 1/4 of the class, so a good number of us are going to be losing our anonymity very soon.

And it's true about Admin, but I asked the Emory kids for info on him before enrolling and they had nothing but positive things to say about him, so now I question whether they were just throwing me under the bus.  I actually do like the material, and they were right on about only having like 10 pages to read per week. I would probably still recommend the prof for people looking to do regulatory work, though I have yet to see how it builds on the Reg State course we took as 1Ls. It looks like the classpak is basically unchanged except for some parentheticals about how 'we've already covered X material but will look at it again in this course because it's important.'  Methinks the repetition may give us natural-born 2Ls an advantage over you foreigners.  Thankfully for me that's my first class of the day so I can be up this late and still get my 8 hours of sleep in.

I was recently wait listed at Vandy and am curious how many grads go to CA? I would want to practice in CA after I graduate.

Bruin, I think I've sent you the links to the employment info before, so I'll let the 1Ls who are thinking about working on the left coast comment.  They know more about class breakdown than I do.  For placement success we'll have the Class of '08 data out in a month which you can compare with any data the website has on where they're from geographically. And my year's 2L info will be published later in the spring with the Recruitment Handbook.

G'luck if you choose to ride out the WL... definitely see if you can swing a visit our way at some point and set up a meeting to talk about placement on the left coast. JNSL has a theory that they focus a lot on where people are from in pulling off the WL, so you might be at an advantage if the west isn't well-represented after deposits are put down.

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »
I really can't think of many flaws with the school. Regulatory state is a disaster, and the legal writing program definitely needs some work.  I've heard similar complaints about the LRAP.  Other than that though, it's all good.

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »
I really can't think of many flaws with the school. Regulatory state is a disaster, and the legal writing program definitely needs some work.  I've heard similar complaints about the LRAP.  Other than that though, it's all good.

Wait until you get to admin law.  I actually liked Reg State and found it more useful than any other class for what I was doing last year (and probably for my career).  If you didn't like it, though, I'd say admin is probably not tolerable whatsoever.

And yeah, I'd second legal writing being a bust... we need to push for it to be pass/fail since everyone's memos come out essentially the same and it's not really something that I think lends itself to grading on a curve.

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2009, 04:53:45 PM »

Really!?! That's what you post when you get back from Bar Review !?! Really!?!

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2009, 03:53:18 PM »
Question guys, while I'm really looking forward to possibly going to Vanderbilt, how is it possible that the 2004 Graduates had a median salary of 100k, and yet US news is now reporting a median of 145k? Is this a typo? The Vanderbilt website itself says 115k. See here:

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/about-the-school/fast-facts/download.aspx?id=531

vs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderbilt_University_Law_School (and yeah I know wiki isn't a good source, but it's also on princeton review and top-law-schools)

The 145k must be a typo right?

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2009, 06:26:52 PM »
No, the 145k is right.

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »

Another Vandy transfer here... and extremely happy with the decision. Love Nashville, love the students, and love Vandy! Our CSO is absolutely amazing, and they will work their tails off to help you find a job. That alone has made the change well worth it, but I can say with all honesty that my decision to attend Vandy is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

The only things I think Vandy could fix would be (1) nixing the Regulatory State curriculum. I just don't understand the need for this course when a substantive class like Admin Law could be offered ... and (2) I also feel the school could do a better job when it comes to registration for the larger upper-level classes like Evidence, Wills & Trusts, etc. However, the latter issue exists with pretty much every law school. Plus the Registrar hasn't been here for very long, so I guess they are ironing out the kinks. Overall, I've had no trouble getting into classes, clinics and seminars I want. Profs are great here; very approachable.

I can't say enough good things about Vandy. From my friends at other T20 law schools, I think Vandy students tend to be more social and outgoing. People are incredibly friendly here, and I still pinch myself at my good luck to be here.

Canuck996, I figured out who you were from an older post where you mentioned what city you were coming from... however, from my profile pic, you'd better know who I am! ;)

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »

Another Vandy transfer here... and extremely happy with the decision. Love Nashville, love the students, and love Vandy! Our CSO is absolutely amazing, and they will work their tails off to help you find a job. That alone has made the change well worth it, but I can say with all honesty that my decision to attend Vandy is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

The only things I think Vandy could fix would be (1) nixing the Regulatory State curriculum. I just don't understand the need for this course when a substantive class like Admin Law could be offered ... and (2) I also feel the school could do a better job when it comes to registration for the larger upper-level classes like Evidence, Wills & Trusts, etc. However, the latter issue exists with pretty much every law school. Plus the Registrar hasn't been here for very long, so I guess they are ironing out the kinks. Overall, I've had no trouble getting into classes, clinics and seminars I want. Profs are great here; very approachable.

I can't say enough good things about Vandy. From my friends at other T20 law schools, I think Vandy students tend to be more social and outgoing. People are incredibly friendly here, and I still pinch myself at my good luck to be here.

Canuck996, I figured out who you were from an older post where you mentioned what city you were coming from... however, from my profile pic, you'd better know who I am! ;)

Definitely agree with all that you said. Except, I know I may be stoned for saying this, but I actually enjoyed Reg State and was able to actually glean some information from the course, after parsing through occasional difficult portions.

Fear not, I know who you are as well. I think your previous posts about your terrible moot court partner gave you away.  :)

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2009, 09:41:35 PM »
Question guys, while I'm really looking forward to possibly going to Vanderbilt, how is it possible that the 2004 Graduates had a median salary of 100k, and yet US news is now reporting a median of 145k? Is this a typo? The Vanderbilt website itself says 115k. See here:

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/about-the-school/fast-facts/download.aspx?id=531

vs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderbilt_University_Law_School (and yeah I know wiki isn't a good source, but it's also on princeton review and top-law-schools)

The 145k must be a typo right?

Vandy is notoriously slow for updating their website with relevant information. The link you provided for 115K is the 2006 graduating class. (Before big firms moved to 160). Why 115 is still listed?? No idea. However, I believe the 145 salary is more accurate.