Law School Discussion

Vanderbilt Class of 2012

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • Email
Vanderbilt Class of 2012
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:39:29 AM »
I know it's early, but I can't be the only one who is favoring Vandy so much.  This is a forum for anyone who thinks their likelihood of being at Vandy next August is 'pretty good to very good'.  Also, anyone already at Vandy is more than welcome to offer some insight.

I am getting ready to move to Greater Nashville (my wife recently accepted an internship in the area).  We will be living in Hermitage, which is about 10 miles away from downtown Nashville.  Anyone familiar with this area?

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:39:42 PM »
Congrats Lucas.  Once you get all settled in you should try and swing by the school.  If there's any legal topics you're particularly interested in I can let you know when there'll be free lunch/speakers... and in case you work straight M-F you should know the Blackacre events Fri afternoon are a great way to meet people in the school + other prospective students that usually show up in the spring each week.

You moving to Hermitage as in by Andrew Jackson's place? Nice area... more rural than downtown or where I live (between Hillsboro and Green Hills) but there's plenty of shops and restaurants out there on the pike. Eventually you'll have to figure out how to maneuver the morning traffic (I-40 can be tough), but no need to worry about that now I guess.

Also, if you're on Facebook the Ambassadors will probably be starting up a group at some point.  They did it last year (when I first started re-posting here, it was solely to encourage prospectives to head over there and ask the dozen or so current students there for different views... I guess the anonymity factor kept most people on these boards instead until it got closer to the admitted student weekends though.) 

Anyways, congrats on the move and the wife on her internship, looking forward to meeting y'all at some point.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:42:43 PM »
Wooo.

Top Cat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
I'm actually living in Andrew Jackson's old house... rent is terrible. ;)

I am moving to that area... rent is very reasonable for the area (<$600 a month) and the apartment is pretty nice for what it is.  I do hope to spend a little time around Vandy's campus.  I actually am going to try to get a runner position with a firm in Nashville- I figure the experience will benefit me and those connections would be valuable in the long-run.  Who knows how much luck I will have snagging a position though.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »
I'm actually living in Andrew Jackson's old house... rent is terrible. ;)

I am moving to that area... rent is very reasonable for the area (<$600 a month) and the apartment is pretty nice for what it is.  I do hope to spend a little time around Vandy's campus.  I actually am going to try to get a runner position with a firm in Nashville- I figure the experience will benefit me and those connections would be valuable in the long-run.  Who knows how much luck I will have snagging a position though.

I've got a meeting in an hour with some Waller and Bass attorneys. If I get the chance (i.e. if they talk to me about Vanderbilt) I'll float out the idea. They're all mostly environmental people who sit on the board of the non-profit I'm interning at.

Top Cat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 01:12:20 PM »
That would be awesome... feel free to PM/ e-mail me if you find out anything.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 01:14:14 PM »
oooh look at that networking!

Obs, I need a masseuse. Any of your 2L friends need some extra cash?

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »
oooh look at that networking!

Obs, I need a masseuse. Any of your 2L friends need some extra cash?

They don't have any masseuses set up at school??? I've succeeded in avoiding so far, but last year you could sign up for free 5-minute backrubs on Main Street. Part of that whole 'health and wellness' schtick to keep people from getting crippling back injuries while cramming for exams.

2Ls... ask some of your Grove folks. The one going to Argentina next semester might be able to help if you ask nicely and offer free drinks come Thursday.  I should ask... any 1L parties I should think about crashing? There's 2 3Ls and one 2L, plus some amazing LLM festivities at Bar Bizon on Friday you should come to if you're still in town.

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 01:30:28 PM »
I think there's a general get together downtown at Buffalo Billiards. The party time listed is 1130am to 2 am.

I'll end up downtown at some point, but I think I'll be going to the same place as I did for Halloween beforehand. I think it was a 3L's house, but attendance was at the urging of a 2L from dook with a boyfriend at Case Med.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »
That might be a different house.  Why not go to the 2L from UNC's house before-hand and stay away from the Duke kids?