Law School Discussion

Jesus, those JD Underground people are blunt.

Re: Jesus, those JD Underground people are blunt.
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2008, 12:27:56 PM »

this is no argument at all.  basically all you're saying is, "i think it's okay, therefore there should not be a problem."

It's not so much an argument as a basic tenant of humor. Wide sweeping stereotypes are the basis for a large amount of humor. God forbid you ever watch Avenue Q on Broadway, or, for that matter, any sort of humor that has a target to it. I tried explaining it, but honestly you're not even listening.

hahahahahahahahaha. Funny =/= -rude. Are we clear yet? Talk about not listening.

« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »
... Do either of you actually enjoy comedy? George Carlin? Demetri Martin? God forbid Daniel Tosh?

I think we need to find out what your definition of funny is first before we can continue this conversation.

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »
... Do either of you actually enjoy comedy? George Carlin? Demetri Martin? God forbid Daniel Tosh?

I think we need to find out what your definition of funny is first before we can continue this conversation.

No, we don't. It's very simple. One more time: funny =/= -rude. In words: funny does not equal not rude. In a sentence: something can be funny, yet also be rude. In a different sentence: just because something is funny does not mean it's not rude.

You're not helping my New Year's Resolution.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »
this is no argument at all.  basically all you're saying is, "i think it's okay, therefore there should not be a problem."

It's not so much an argument as a basic tenant of humor. Wide sweeping stereotypes are the basis for a large amount of humor. God forbid you ever watch Avenue Q on Broadway, or, for that matter, any sort of humor that has a target to it. I tried explaining it, but honestly you're not even listening.

so what is NOT acceptable in your opinion?

But its OK to have a baord full of TTT bashing and no one steps up to condone it becuase it does not effect them personally?

like i said, i don't say anything one way or the other about schools with which i have no familiarity.  i've proposed a simple solution to your complaint about a double standard: we get to call you out on your T14 jokes and you get to call us out on our non-T14 jokes.  that way, no one's being called out on things over which they have no control.  sounds fair, don't you think?

But you do have control over it. Its become part of this board culture that its ok to trash everyone in the TTT, with a shotgun approach as Dash says, but not the other way around. You condone it by your silence as one of the most well know posters on this board even if you do not personally participate. Just because youíre not the one getting personally shotgunned in those threads makes it OK to ignore them, but then protest if it does affect you personally? that is what is so hard for me to accept, and where I see the double standard.

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »
fair enough.  you said: "Wide sweeping stereotypes are the basis for a large amount of humor."  so racial/ethnic/religious humor is funny, right?

In the right context? See Avenue Q.

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2008, 12:35:56 PM »

which was...

I feel bad saying it. I already deleted it twice because it's horribly rude to even imply it.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2008, 12:37:14 PM »

Its not new years yet?

And can't we just find something we would all argree upon? I mean no one would be offned if I relapced "T14" with vandy right?  ;)

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2008, 12:39:34 PM »
No, we don't. It's very simple. One more time: funny =/= -rude. In words: funny does not equal not rude. In a sentence: something can be funny, yet also be rude. In a different sentence: just because something is funny does not mean it's not rude.

Okay, so you're arguing that if something is funny and rude, someone should apologize while saying it? That'd ruin the punchline of almost every good joke.

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2008, 12:41:17 PM »

Okay, so you're arguing that if something is funny and rude, someone should apologize while saying it? That'd ruin the punchline of almost every good joke.

If you say something that is both funny and rude, and someone takes offense, because they didn't deserve to be insulted by your rude joke, then yes, the adult thing to do is to apologize for insulting them. Don't you have manners?

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2008, 12:46:08 PM »
In the right context? See Avenue Q.

so...  when people are paying to go see a show that they know includes this kind of humor, it's okay.  that's what i'm getting here, and i'm not clear as to how you think this helps your argument.

I feel bad saying it. I already deleted it twice because it's horribly rude to even imply it.

PM me then.

And can't we just find something we would all argree upon? I mean no one would be offned if I relapced "T14" with vandy right?  ;)

i would still get offended.  and frankly i want vandy to rank above GULC this year.

But you do have control over it. Its become part of this board culture that its ok to trash everyone in the TTT, with a shotgun approach as Dash says, but not the other way around. You condone it by your silence as one of the most well know posters on this board even if you do not personally participate. Just because youíre not the one getting personally shotgunned in those threads makes it OK to ignore them, but then protest if it does affect you personally? that is what is so hard for me to accept, and where I see the double standard.

so basically you're saying if i don't support you vehemently enough, i'm undermining you.  that's a little unfair don't you think?

Actually no, I donít care if you support me or not. But I donít buy the argument that your free enough from sin to cast the first stone and tell me I canít do whatís done all over this board because, now, it impacts the school you go to. If your personally offended by what I said, that is one thing, if your offended by what I said because it included the T14 but would not if it was the TTT, thatís another.