Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying to an MBA program during 1L year....  (Read 1330 times)

TheFoz

• View Profile
Applying to an MBA program during 1L year....
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:39:07 PM »
I'm not in LS yet (applying now) but with my numbers I should end up in the Chicago/Columbia/Michigan/Virginia range. As I'm going to be in LS for 3 years I'm really interested in adding an MBA (I figure now would be the time to do it). The problem is that I only have about 6 months of "real" work experience (political campaign) and another 9 months of internship experience (also at a political campaign). Other then that I've worked at an on-campus job for the past years...certainly not the same caliber that top MBA programs go after.

That being said I've heard it's easier to get into the business school if you apply during your 1L year while you're already at the law school. Assuming my #'s were adequate (low 170's lsat, 3.7 gpa, 700+ gmat) would I stand a good chance getting into the MBA program? I know they highly value WE, and mine is very weak, but like I said I heard it's also easier if you're already in the LS so if anybody has any tidbits to add I'd really appreciate it.

Startin Up Soon!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Applying to an MBA program during 1L year....
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:27:12 PM »
I'm thinking the same and would def be interested in what people have to say.

TheFoz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:51:49 AM »
Anyone?????

fertsru

• ICQ Messenger - 483674619
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »
Here are my two cents: stick to one plan, don't become a career student.

I can hardly imagine what you would get from having MBA and JD at the same time after graduation. You are going to compete for the same law jobs as other law students and MBA might just give your resume some boost but not a significant one.

In addition, you will be overloaded with homework if you try to do both full time (not sure that law schools even allow that.) You would be better off working in the field after your first year of LS than still trying to pull of both degrees at the same time.

I see a lot of people trying to figure out if they like law during law school. I think it would have really benefited them if they had done at least some pro bono/internship/summer gig in the legal field. You probably have next summer ahead of you, try to take a peek into the profession and see that maybe MBA is more attractive after all.

Per aspera ad astra.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 02:48:57 AM »
I recently spoke to a professor of mine, a successful bankruptcy attorney, and I specifically asked him if he thought his MBA helped him in his law practice. He described it as 'invaluable'.

It really depends on what you plan on doing. I think it would be a tough sell to describe having both degrees as "worthless"

If you want to run your own practice, or consult small businesses or corporations, I'll bet you could have a more expanded role with an MBA under your belt.

But, in my opinion, theres no such thing as too much education. I always see comments on this board about how pointless a masters program is, or the adverse affect it may have on how employers perceive you. F them. If you like school, and have the desire, stay in the academic world as long as you want.   

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

vhromiko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 05:12:19 PM »
I think the joint degree can be a great idea. Some schools offer a concurrent program -- don't know specifically about the ones you mentioned -- where the business and law programs mutually agree to accept a limited amount of credit from the other program toward graduation requirements. Therefore shortens the time to graduation slightly.

In my opinion, one great advantage to having both degrees is learning to live on both sides of the wall.  Business culture is very different from law-culture.  You'll see what I mean as soon as you step foot out of law school and into the halls of the MBA program or vice versa.  One is adversarial, competitive, cut-throat with a smile -- the other is more team-building, cooperative, optimizing, maximizing your benefit, etc.

IF as a law professional, you'll be serving and working directly with business people (who are not in the business of law I mean) then you will be well served by understanding THEIR language, their culture, and the context of their business goals.  You'll communicate better with them.  And you'll gain insights into their legal challenges that you might not otherwise have.  Besides, you never know but there might come a day when you'll want to walk into their world on a more permanent basis.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »
Great post. I completely agree.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 04:07:11 AM »
Look into Penn's new 3-year JD/MBA...

P.S.  Wharton's not a bad perk.   ;)

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »
Look into Penn's new 3-year JD/MBA...

P.S.  Wharton's not a bad perk.   ;)

Yeah Wharton only slight advantage over someone with just a JD. heck if i got into Wharton alone and not Penn I would forego LS all together.

I was pondering the JD/MBA joint myself, I got stuck in a long line at borders and read a book about MBA's. Does anyone have any experience with firms looking down upon this. I think I read somewhere that they do. Would kinda suck if I had 4 years of debt and no job  :'(