Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fordham 1L, Evening Division, taking questions  (Read 7044 times)

adi1

• View Profile
Re: Fordham 1L, Evening Division, taking questions
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 08:21:21 AM »
Got a 146 on Dec 08'  LSAT.  GPA is 3.96 and 3 years work experience at Merrill Lynch in Financial Advisory.  Unfortunately, I just dont do well on these standardized tests. (I sucked at the SAT)..

Anyway, I still would really like to go next year to law school next year. do i have any shot at fordham evening program? where would u suggest i apply to? Brooklyn? NYLS?

(I have one thing in my favor- a family member is a partner , a hiring partner as well, in a vault top 40 firm. so if i do ok, i think i can get hired..i just want the best law school and one that will ACCEPT me. )

Joey Joe Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 08:54:51 AM »
Beinlaw - Absolutely yes. Most people who transfer to full time (the "day division", in Fordham-speak) go part time (or "evening division") for one year, then either a) take either Con Law or Civil Procedure over the summer and do an externship for the additional credit, or b) do a study abroad program over the summer. Then they transfer to the day division and graduate in 3 years.

As to whether or not I'm happy, ask me when we get our grades back.

adi1 - Frankly, I don't work in admissions, and even if I did I wouldn't be able to accurately predict your chances at getting admitted to Fordham. I don't know how well you write, what you majored in to get a 3.96 (Engineering? Chemistry? Underwater basket-weaving?) or other possibly relevant soft factors.

That being said, I know what you know - that 146 puts you in the low-end (if anywhere) of the 25th percentile pool for the F.L. evening division applicants. And no matter what admissions officers say, obviously the LSAT is a huge criterion that they use to determine who gets in.

I am in no position whatsoever to offer you advice as to where else to apply - I applied to several schools in NYC, and I'm glad about my choice, but I entered the process having done far too little research into some of the NYC schools. I have no idea what your admission chances would be at other NYC law schools, but I think you might have a tough time even at Cardozo or Brooklyn. Anyone know NYLS's numbers?

But independent of that - may I ask why you wish to attend law school? Have you worked with lawyers before? Are you willing to incur $160K + in debt (or out-of-pocket expense) to enter a field where you have (presumably) little or no experience?

I strongly recommend that you spend at least one year working for or directly with attorneys, then  - if you're serious - consider re-taking the LSAT.

Also - are you sure that firm job is going to be available in 3-4 years?

I hope the above is helpful, feel free to ask me if you have any other specific questions and if you think I could help.

adi1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
I plan to use my finance background (undergraduate was in accounting) to practice corporate/tax/real estate law.

I just spoke to a friend who had a 158 and a 3.9 gpa and he got denied from fordham evening, so now I am not sure.

The only only thing i have in my favor are those soft factors  (3 yrs wall street experience, high gpa, great essay that my literature professor helped review, good letters of recom.). Are these soft factors any real help??

Most people do not jump 10 points on LSAT on the 2nd time, so I don't see much to gain by taking it again. I guess I can apply to Brooklyn, NYLS, and FOrdham evening and see what happens...

i was just hoping to see if u knew of anyone who got into Fordham evening with a 146, or perhaps if u knew anyone who got into other NY law schools with my stats.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 05:24:26 AM »
I plan to use my finance background (undergraduate was in accounting) to practice corporate/tax/real estate law.

I just spoke to a friend who had a 158 and a 3.9 gpa and he got denied from fordham evening, so now I am not sure.

The only only thing i have in my favor are those soft factors  (3 yrs wall street experience, high gpa, great essay that my literature professor helped review, good letters of recom.). Are these soft factors any real help??

Most people do not jump 10 points on LSAT on the 2nd time, so I don't see much to gain by taking it again. I guess I can apply to Brooklyn, NYLS, and FOrdham evening and see what happens...

i was just hoping to see if u knew of anyone who got into Fordham evening with a 146, or perhaps if u knew anyone who got into other NY law schools with my stats.

adi -- def take the LSAT again.  You've really got to with that score.  It's a lot easier to jump 10 points from the high 140's than it is to jump 10 points in you're already in the high 160's.  Take a Powerscore or Princeton Review class.  I just did a weekend Powerscore class and spent a couple more months studying an hour or so a day and I went up 6 points.  If I'd taken a full class and studied even more I probably would have gone up 10 points.
Frankly, a 146 is an automatic reject at schools like Fordham PT, Cardozo, Brooklyn, and even Seton Hall and NYLS.  A 156 is still on the low end, but with a great GPA and soft factors you're comptetaive now.

Joey Joe Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »
I agree with lawboy that if you reallyreallyreally want to go to law school in NY, you should take a course and try for a higher score - the LSAT can be learned, and you may have a very good shot at improving on your December score.

Hamilcar77

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »
I know the debate about job prospects between day and evening divisions can be found elsewhere on this site, however, I would still like to know what's your take on your prospects in comparison to your day division peers?

And, I think you mentioned that it's not that difficult to transfer from evening to day?  What are Fordham's requirements for the change?

MrDiggler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »
Is it possible to be a night student and a full-time student, taking the full course load?
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
You're ~hot, therefore you're ~fly

JDLLMCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 11:26:17 PM »
Are there other evening students to work with in a study group? I would think this would be a big difference between day and evening programs. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Joey Joe Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »
Hamil - It's a little early for me to have personal experience, but my impression is that day division students have no advantage over evening division students in terms of job prospects.

Don't know the exact credit requirements for transfer, but what people do is either a) take Con Law or Civil Procedure over the summer and do an externship for the additional credit, or b) do a study abroad program over the summer. Then you can transfer to the day division and graduate in 3 years.

Diggler - No.

JDLLMCPA - Absolutely. From what I could tell, most people made time for study groups. We just had to be careful with our time.

dfeeg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 09:18:39 PM »
Hey Joey, 

I'm real interested in the evening program at Fordham, and according to what I've found online through the lsac, I'm right in the median range for the program (3.4/161).  However I come from an undergrad that is pretty low-end.  So I guess my question would be this.  Based on your dealings with other students in the evening program, how is the diversity as far as undergrad institutions go?  Are they all essentially ivy-league students that didn't make the cut at a lot of other top schools?  Or are they from all different kinds of backgrounds?  Also, does fordham's evening program have early decision?  Thanks for taking the time.