Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Criticism  (Read 704 times)

lawapplicants

• View Profile
    • lawapplicants.com
    • Email
Criticism
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:03:49 PM »
Hi all --

I am trying to start a site [http://www.lawapplicants.com] where law applicants [both pre-professional and matriculated]can anonymously display their application statistics to the web-community [yes, similar to lawschoolnumbers.com; but I my vision is distinctly different]. I am looking for criticism of the site. Please keep it constructive [things like grammar and spelling are WELCOME but I am specifically looking to tailor the site to your needs; broadly, what are you looking for - I knew what I was looking for when I applied, but what are you?]. Thanks and good luck!

lawapplicants

• View Profile
    • lawapplicants.com
    • Email
Re: Criticism
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:34:30 PM »
No criticism? The silent treatment is killer  :-[

logickills

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »
the bold copy on the home page needs to go, or be toned down. it reads like the author has turrets with all the emphasis on, emphasis off in each sentence.  the headings and bullet points also feel really disjointed.  small font to big font back to small font.  your home-page is your hook, the first thing people see.  it should be more attention-grabbing.

the copy on your about page needs to be tighter.  for instance, "LawApplicants.com is a free site designed as a service to prelaw and law students" can easily become "LawApplicants.com is a free service for prelaw and law students."  also: "The aim of this site is to share the experiences of past applicants with current, as a rough guide to what they may expect or the type of preparation they may require." can easily become "Our goal is to share the experiences of past applicants with current prospective students."  all that stuff about being a guide for what they expect and what preparation they'll require is implied.  know your audience: pre law students.  they aren't stupid.  you don't need to bang them over the head with what you're providing.  they'll figure it out.  i also think you say "this site" too many times.  no need to be overly self-referential. 

i tried to sign up but never got an email confirmation.  is it not live yet?

also, most importantly, how are you different from TLS, LSN, LSD...  quality points equal bloggers?  i think you might be better off asking for applicants, or seeking out the most helpful, active members of your community assuming those message boards take off.  i dont know if sheer volume of posts/points would do it. 
accepted: duke, georgetown, fordham $$, umich $$, nyu!, uchicago, uva, gw
pending: berkeley (rejected), yale (rejected), stanford, harvard, columbia (WL), upenn (WL)
lsn: logickills

lawapplicants

• View Profile
    • lawapplicants.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 12:05:01 AM »
the bold copy on the home page needs to go, or be toned down. it reads like the author has turrets with all the emphasis on, emphasis off in each sentence.  the headings and bullet points also feel really disjointed.  small font to big font back to small font.  your home-page is your hook, the first thing people see.  it should be more attention-grabbing.

the copy on your about page needs to be tighter.  for instance, "LawApplicants.com is a free site designed as a service to prelaw and law students" can easily become "LawApplicants.com is a free service for prelaw and law students."  also: "The aim of this site is to share the experiences of past applicants with current, as a rough guide to what they may expect or the type of preparation they may require." can easily become "Our goal is to share the experiences of past applicants with current prospective students."  all that stuff about being a guide for what they expect and what preparation they'll require is implied.  know your audience: pre law students.  they aren't stupid.  you don't need to bang them over the head with what you're providing.  they'll figure it out.  i also think you say "this site" too many times.  no need to be overly self-referential. 

i tried to sign up but never got an email confirmation.  is it not live yet?

also, most importantly, how are you different from TLS, LSN, LSD...  quality points equal bloggers?  i think you might be better off asking for applicants, or seeking out the most helpful, active members of your community assuming those message boards take off.  i dont know if sheer volume of posts/points would do it. 

Very good thank you very much. The site is live. Gmail's spam filter has been catching the emails sent out. I wonder if your spam filter caught the message with the password.

bridgemonkey405

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN - 174/3.7
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:33:52 AM »
Compared to LSN just in ease of information access... I click a person, I want to see easily and immediately a list of schools and what happened at each. Having a list of accepted, applied, and rejected isn't as quick for information processing in my head. Or it could be I'm just LSN biased, but that's my opinion, fyi.