Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will this prevent me from sitting for the bar?? Need some advice...  (Read 2055 times)

newmom

• View Profile
    • Email
I posted this on the grad board, hoping to get more response here...

So here's the situation- I got accused of violating my schools code of conduct.  Someone accused me of reviewing notes  in between sessions of my closed book exam (which is bullsh!t, was completely inadvertent, had a few outlines open when I opened my laptop and it was on my screen for a few mins before I opened the exam software, but I absolutely did NOT read the notes, I had no reason to cheat on the exam).  At any rate, I've been charged with violating the code and have to go through pretty much a trial process.  I really want to defend myself but after talking to the Dean I highly suspect that the process is not like a crim trial (ie no "innocent til proven guilty) and she's stongly recommending to come to some type of negotiated agreement. The problem with the agreement (outside of possibly receiving an F in a class that I studied my a$$ off for) is that there will be a note of the incident and agreement on my perm record and will be sent to every bar committee that I try to sit for the exam.  I feel angry/cheated/scared etc...I'm thinking that I'll never be able to sit for any bar exam once they see the note, I'll 4ever look like a cheater.  Anyone have any experience with something similar or have any insite?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Will this prevent me from sitting for the bar?? Need some advice...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
There are lawyers who specialize in this type of representation.  You could contact one before getting in too deep with your school's adjudication procedures.

newmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 04:58:57 PM »
There are lawyers who specialize in this type of representation.  You could contact one before getting in too deep with your school's adjudication procedures.

Don't think I can bring in outside counsel, they provide a student defender. Grrrr! Whole process is irritating as hell...

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 05:11:50 PM »

Don't think I can bring in outside counsel, they provide a student defender. Grrrr! Whole process is irritating as hell...

I meant just to get advice about different options and how it will affect your ability to be admitted to the bar; not necessarily for defense in any administrative action taken by your school.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 01:27:38 AM »
Is it a state school that you're going to? If so, maybe you have a procedural due process right before they put a permanent mark on your record that may impact your educational and employment future...
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 01:33:05 AM »

contact one of the attorneys anyway.  get some pro se tips if nothing else.

who is accusing you?  the professor?  another student?

if it were me i'd make them prove it, i would not personally plea bargain any damn thing.*

*tinla & ianyl
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:40:45 AM »
You should note it on your law school applications, in fact you're required to by LSAC. Quite honestly, if the bar finds out, and you never reported it, then it becomes a compounded problem with misrepresentation and fraud on top of academic code of conduct violation. If your school penalizes you, then they certainly will document the issue. Be sure to obtain a copy of the document so that you can submit it to the law school you apply to and the bar so that they can objectively assess the issue. They won't really care about your side of the story, because it's inevitably going to be biased. If you do it the right way it will almost certainly be a non-issue. Also, law schools regularly accept people who report their past mishaps, so don't think it will necessarily negatively affect you. It shows a truly moral character to report one's past mishaps. But don't report anything until you've formerly been found guilty and penalized.

So here's the situation- I got accused of violating my schools code of conduct.  Someone accused me of reviewing notes  in between sessions of my closed book exam (which is bullsh!t, was completely inadvertent, had a few outlines open when I opened my laptop and it was on my screen for a few mins before I opened the exam software, but I absolutely did NOT read the notes, I had no reason to cheat on the exam).  At any rate, I've been charged with violating the code and have to go through pretty much a trial process.  I really want to defend myself but after talking to the Dean I highly suspect that the process is not like a crim trial (ie no "innocent til proven guilty) and she's stongly recommending to come to some type of negotiated agreement. The problem with the agreement (outside of possibly receiving an F in a class that I studied my a$$ off for) is that there will be a note of the incident and agreement on my perm record and will be sent to every bar committee that I try to sit for the exam.  I feel angry/cheated/scared etc...I'm thinking that I'll never be able to sit for any bar exam once they see the note, I'll 4ever look like a cheater.  Anyone have any experience with something similar or have any insite?
To whom much is given, much is expected.

lackofabetteridea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 05:52:32 AM »
You should note it on your law school applications, in fact you're required to by LSAC. Quite honestly, if the bar finds out, and you never reported it, then it becomes a compounded problem with misrepresentation and fraud on top of academic code of conduct violation. If your school penalizes you, then they certainly will document the issue. Be sure to obtain a copy of the document so that you can submit it to the law school you apply to and the bar so that they can objectively assess the issue. They won't really care about your side of the story, because it's inevitably going to be biased. If you do it the right way it will almost certainly be a non-issue. Also, law schools regularly accept people who report their past mishaps, so don't think it will necessarily negatively affect you. It shows a truly moral character to report one's past mishaps. But don't report anything until you've formerly been found guilty and penalized.

The OP is already in law school. 

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 07:00:43 PM »
Oh, so then if you didn't report it on your law school application, that may be a problem. You might have to retroactively amend your application, unless you want to risk having the ABA finding out you misrepresented yourself on your application, which would be far worse.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

lackofabetteridea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:19:22 PM »
I got the idea the incident took place during a law school exam...