Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Post-Exam Feelings Correlate Well with Grades?  (Read 3543 times)

"That One"

• View Profile
Re: Do Post-Exam Feelings Correlate Well with Grades?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 05:29:13 PM »
It depends.

I think I am the only one who got this joke.

neon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »
I say, expect the worst. That way, you can never be disappointed. Good luck.

haha ))) that's what I always do ))) and it helps. I know people feeling real bad after they got their score, only because they were thinking their performance would get them in top 10%.

Usually if you feel good about exam, probably most students feel that way and the curve is not that good. I got better grades on the exams I thought I bombed, and with the ones I was sure I'd get a great great, I ended up in the middle.

In any event, starving yourself is not a good idea -))

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 06:17:47 PM »

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »
Very ambivalent about an exam.  It was easy, so the curve will be tough, I'm sure.  In that sense, I'm ambivalent.  But I'm also optimistic.

If you are asking, I am sure you are still a 1L.  Hope you did well on your exams!  For me, I knew how I did relative to my potential coming out of my first semester exams.  However, because everything is done on a curve, you cannot tell your first semester how your best compares to everyone else.  After your first semester, you should have a better idea what your grades will be coming out of exams.

SCOOTERNINJA

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 07:01:04 PM »
You never know until the day the grade is posted.  It does no good to think about or waste time discussing an exam you already finished.  In fact, as soon as the exam is over you should blank it from your memory and devote total focus to the next one.

I knew for myself that I hated when exams seemed rather easy and straightforward.  That meant that likely it was straightforward and there were many students who were better writers and applied much more detailed analyais than myself.

I liked exams that seemed difficult because I had a complex engineering background and was adept at answering complex problems.  I didn't have to worry about structure and depth, just that I had applied the proper legal analysis.

Dont buy into the "because it seemed easy you obviously missed some issues."  Not all professors write essays with difficult to spot issues and I in my experience most didn't.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »

I felt wretched after Crim Law last year and it was my best grade.  Opposite feelings and results in Civ Pro.

There's no way to know.  I never discuss exams with classmates after the fact.  And I try not to think about it.

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 01:03:32 AM »

I felt wretched after Crim Law last year and it was my best grade.  Opposite feelings and results in Civ Pro.

There's no way to know.  I never discuss exams with classmates after the fact.  And I try not to think about it.
I'm doing a really, really bad job at this.  It's making it near impossible to move into next-test mindset =/
B < PL

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »
I don't see any correlation at all in how I feel I did on a particular exam versus my grade.  That's the thing about curves.  How you did is only part of the equation.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »
I'll let you know in a month!  :D

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
"He was unforthcoming as to whether he assigns higher grades toward exams closer to the top (closer to him) or closer to the bottom (further away from him), so the disclosure was not particularly helpful."

You can figure this out pretty easily.  What is the correlation between grade and length of exam answer?  If it's positive, then the top is high grade (bulkier answers have more pages, are heavier and less aerodynamic).  If it's negative, then it's the reverse.