Law School Discussion

Do Post-Exam Feelings Correlate Well with Grades?

Re: Do Post-Exam Feelings Correlate Well with Grades?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 04:14:10 PM »

There are so many factors involved that it's very hard to accurately predict your performance. Also, some law professors just throw all of their exams down the stairs and assign a grade to each step.

I asked our civ pro professor whether he did this. He told me he did. ETA: He was unforthcoming as to whether he assigns higher grades toward exams closer to the top (closer to him) or closer to the bottom (further away from him), so the disclosure was not particularly helpful.

We had a thing at my contracts prof's house and he pointed at the stairs and said "that's where I do all of my grading"

Also, for the record, I've never read Getting to Maybe.

"He was unforthcoming as to whether he assigns higher grades toward exams closer to the top (closer to him) or closer to the bottom (further away from him), so the disclosure was not particularly helpful."

You can figure this out pretty easily.  What is the correlation between grade and length of exam answer?  If it's positive, then the top is high grade (bulkier answers have more pages, are heavier and less aerodynamic).  If it's negative, then it's the reverse.

Who says the stairs are awarded grades sequentially?

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »
"Who says the stairs are awarded grades sequentially?"

But, then, why use stairs?  Why not just throw them up and grade them according to which floor tile they fall onto?

No, I'm afraid I cannot accept your argument.  Law professors are far too rational (and short-winded) to climb a flight of stairs for no reason at all.

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 04:39:43 PM »
"Who says the stairs are awarded grades sequentially?"

But, then, why use stairs?  Why not just throw them up and grade them according to which floor tile they fall onto?

No, I'm afraid I cannot accept your argument.  Law professors are far too rational (and short-winded) to climb a flight of stairs for no reason at all.

To easy for papers to straddle tiles. How many floor tiles are bigger than an 8.5x11 piece of paper? Not many!

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 04:49:10 PM »
Good point, but if the tiles are too small you'd simply use groups of tiles to define the letter grades.  AFter all, in the T14, you really only need three groups.  Of course, each group would have to be sub-divided into pluses and minuses - but here you could use an alternative strategy:  plus = face up, minus = face down, letter grade = paper falls so that both sides are showing.

Surely this must be how they actually do it.  It just makes sense.

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 05:46:35 PM »
i stand corrected and offer my apologies to susan b.

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »
My post-exam feelings correlated fairly well with my grades this first semester.  (In my case, that was a good thing! Sadly, though, it wasn't good for others.)

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »
I'm a 3L near the top of my class, and for the most part I've absolutely no correlation between grades and my feelings about how I performed on an exam. Some the classes I thought I bombed, I got A's. Some classes I thought I booked, and rocked the B+. I don't believe that grades are arbitrary, just that it's hard to predict how you will perform, particularly as a 1L.

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 06:50:31 PM »
Grades are inversely proportional to effort.