Law School Discussion

"Decision Pending" for binding early app at U. Chicago

Re: "Decision Pending" for binding early app at U. Chicago
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »
Sorry.  I know very little about admissions.  But I do know plenty about New Grad, 1L courses and professors, Hyde Park, and any other non-admissions questions you might have.

Again, good luck.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »
Sorry.  I know very little about admissions.  But I do know plenty about New Grad, 1L courses and professors, Hyde Park, and any other non-admissions questions you might have.

Again, good luck.

I've been looking around the Chicago website since I am a loser and have nothing better to do with my time.  Do you know anyone who has done the MAPH (Master of Arts Program in the Humanities) while completing a JD degree?  That program looks absolutely awesome and if I am fortunate enough to be accepted to Chicago I will probably apply there and try to go for a dual-degree, maybe with a focus on Philosophy of Law or something.  I might also apply to the IR program or human rights program, because I am a sucker for academia and degrees.  Any knowledge of people who have gone down these paths and their experiences with it?

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »
I do know another 1L who completed the program before coming here.  His LSD name is hipcathobbes and I would PM him for more details.

I don't know anyone currently in that program, at least as a 1L.

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  If I actually get accepted I will be sure to contact him for some information on the program.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 10:58:35 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  If I actually get accepted I will be sure to contact him for some information on the program.

SL, I just looked at your LSN page and wanted to offer my encouragement. I applied binding ED a few years ago with very similar stats and got in (LSAT a few points higher, but GPA a little lower). Obviously the top few points on the LSAT matter, but above a certain range it seems all fungible. Good luck.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »
i wonder if they'll be a batch of stuff going out before christmas? we're all in the middle of finals but admissions could still be meeting and getting a few in before the holiday.

i'm on the student admissions committee, so i help plan events but i unfortunately don't get to admit people  :'( i think i would be awesome at it. i would pretty much just read personal statements and be like, you're cool, you suck, go to harvard already.

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »
i wonder if they'll be a batch of stuff going out before christmas? we're all in the middle of finals but admissions could still be meeting and getting a few in before the holiday.

i'm on the student admissions committee, so i help plan events but i unfortunately don't get to admit people  :'( i think i would be awesome at it. i would pretty much just read personal statements and be like, you're cool, you suck, go to harvard already.

This seems like it brings up a lot of the rules v. discretion problems I should be studying right now.  At the very least, it seems like the discretion allows for an unfair imposition of dominion upon someone else.

But, on the other hand . . . yada yada yada.

<-- can't wait to start outlining for Torts and Property.  no more Elements, pleez.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 02:03:06 PM »

This seems like it brings up a lot of the rules v. discretion problems I should be studying right now.  At the very least, it seems like the discretion allows for an unfair imposition of dominion upon someone else.

But, on the other hand . . . yada yada yada.

<-- can't wait to start outlining for Torts and Property.  no more Elements, pleez.

have you guys read the torts case where the drunk guy steals an airport golf cart? it was my favorite.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 02:17:21 PM »
the death was tragic but what i would have given to see a drunkard careening around the airport and then being like OH, I KNOW, I'LL HIDE IN THE TRASH COMPACTOR.

that's one of the only torts cases i remember besides the piano teacher who played on his students.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
the death was tragic but what i would have given to see a drunkard careening around the airport and then being like OH, I KNOW, I'LL HIDE IN THE TRASH COMPACTOR.

that's one of the only torts cases i remember besides the piano teacher who played on his students.

*taps shoulder*

*causes spinal fluid to explode*

My favorite is the minks case.  You can't make that *&^% up.

The trash compactor case is very sad, and, yes, we did it in the duty unit.