Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which LSAT prep course would you suggest??  (Read 4124 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which LSAT prep course would you suggest??
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
I took a Testmasters weekend class and I thought it was CRAP!  They have this huge manual and the teacher just reads from the manual/book for 8 hours each day.  Anytime we asked a question that required an explanation, she would just say "because that's the right answer".

I took the full Princeton Review class and I thought it rocked.  Plus their guarantee is the best in the business.  I took my first lsat with minimal prep and got a 141.  I just retook it after Printecton Review and got a 152 (while that increase may not sound like a lot, my brain doesn't function the way the LSAT does and it's a huge gain for me).  I am not thrilled with my results and Princeton Review is letting me retake the class again for free to prep. for the February test. 

HTH
Vegas*girl

Don't knock yourself. An 11-point gain is absolutely huge for anyone. Congrats! You do know that you can improve even more over time, though. I believe anyone who gets a 152 can get a 157. The question is, can they get up to that score in a short amount of time?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »
I took Kaplan and liked it a lot. The materials and my instructor were great, I was totally happy with my score, life is good. Can't speak to the others as I haven't taken them.
HLS 2010

blurgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »
I didn't like the Blue Print Course, but maybe there movie might be better. I am crossing my fingers. If I could do it again, I would use Powerscore because the Bibles are great and you get a discount when you book their course.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »
I took the Kaplan course and I was pretty happy with it.  I signed up for the class that teaches for the December exam, but I was able to stay on board for free until the February exam.  I am awaiting my score so I can't provide quantifiable results, but I appreciated that they not only helped you prepare for the test; they helped prepare you for the test day itself.  In that sense, I think Kaplan or something similar can help you learn how to calm your nerves by testing you in a real test-like setting.  It seems that a lot of people who study alone do very well when they practice succumb to nerves when they take the real test.  When you take a class you get the experience of going in and taking a proctored exam with other people.  A bonus is if you decide to go in really early to practice waking up early and taking a test :)

That said, I think whatever course of study you choose depends on what you're willing to put into it.  I put a lot of time and effort into the class but many people don't (even though these courses are very expensive and your future as a law student depends on your success).  I work a lot better with structure and someone checking up on me to see how I'm doing, but that's not the case for everyone.  There's no blanket answer to what's going to help you perform the best, but I just wanted to provide my experience.  Good luck!