Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which LSAT prep course would you suggest??  (Read 4042 times)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Which LSAT prep course would you suggest??
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 07:31:13 PM »
Thankyou all for your advice. I live in Dallas and Blueprint doesn't offer a course here. Testmasters and Powerscore offer classes here (Kaplan and PR as well). What would you suggest I do here. I have the Logical Ressoning Bible and plan on getting the others. What were some of your results? -Blessings

I wouldn't do the PS bibles unless you're going to self-study or do the PS class (I personally don't recommend self-study to anyone).  Other companies' techniques are going to differ, and I've had bad experiences with students who learn two methods and try to reconcile them.  Pick one and run with it.  Don't choose a company based on brand.  Do some investigative work (i.e. get out and meet people) and find out who the superstar instructor is in your area (hint: he's the guy that knocks you on your butt with his LSAT knowledge the first 15 minutes you talk to him) and take his (or her) class.

dutchtowner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 10:32:20 AM »
Thankyou all for your advice. I live in Dallas and Blueprint doesn't offer a course here. Testmasters and Powerscore offer classes here (Kaplan and PR as well). What would you suggest I do here. I have the Logical Ressoning Bible and plan on getting the others. What were some of your results? -Blessings

I wouldn't do the PS bibles unless you're going to self-study or do the PS class (I personally don't recommend self-study to anyone).  Other companies' techniques are going to differ, and I've had bad experiences with students who learn two methods and try to reconcile them.  Pick one and run with it.  Don't choose a company based on brand.  Do some investigative work (i.e. get out and meet people) and find out who the superstar instructor is in your area (hint: he's the guy that knocks you on your butt with his LSAT knowledge the first 15 minutes you talk to him) and take his (or her) class.

I think this is excellent advice and wish I had done a little more investigating of sources other than the company which held the LSAT class. Just because someone scores in the 99th percentile or whatever, it doesn't make them a good teacher.

I think a class can help, but suspect that many companies just use a teacher as book guide; they just basically cover the book contents in class.

Dutch

LSAT All Star

• Sr. Citizen
  • Keeping it simple
    • View Profile
    • All Star Test Prep
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »
Just because someone scores in the 99th percentile or whatever, it doesn't make them a good teacher.

Amen.
Visit us at allstartestprep.com

shannydew

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 05:44:42 PM »
I am looking to take a prep class next summer as well.  Have you considered doing an online course?  I would think Kaplan has an online course.  I know Powerscore has an online course and they let me sit in on one of their sample classes to see if I would like the way they teach.  Because I live off in the boondocks, I don't have in-class courses offered near me from anyone, so I will be taking the August Powerscore virtual course.  Hope this helps:) 

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 01:27:52 AM »
What about Testmasters? Anyone here think it's good?

SDP1024

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »
I took the Princeton Review course starting last July before I took the October LSAT, and couldn't have been happier with the course. I agree that it's a lot of money, and if you really do want to just study on your own - go for it! However, the structure of going to class every other day or so and having a set amount of work to do per class was a real help to me. I was lucky perhaps and had an excellent teacher. Hearing explanations and having the visualization of being taught on a marker board really reinforced the concepts from the book (that I wouldn't have gotten if studying on my own.) I think the class was worth the money just for the simulated tests on Saturday mornings as well. You can take all the practice tests you want at home, but there's something about waking up on a Saturday and going to a test that's run by a proctor.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 06:26:50 PM »
What about Testmasters? Anyone here think it's good?

I thought my Testmasters class was great
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

vegas*girl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »
I took a Testmasters weekend class and I thought it was CRAP!  They have this huge manual and the teacher just reads from the manual/book for 8 hours each day.  Anytime we asked a question that required an explanation, she would just say "because that's the right answer".

I took the full Princeton Review class and I thought it rocked.  Plus their guarantee is the best in the business.  I took my first lsat with minimal prep and got a 141.  I just retook it after Printecton Review and got a 152 (while that increase may not sound like a lot, my brain doesn't function the way the LSAT does and it's a huge gain for me).  I am not thrilled with my results and Princeton Review is letting me retake the class again for free to prep. for the February test. 

HTH
Vegas*girl

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »
I took the Princeton Review course...and couldn't have been happier with the course.

I thought my Testmasters class was great

I took a Testmasters weekend class and I thought it was CRAP!
I took the full Princeton Review class and I thought it rocked.

This is the problem with asking about the prep company rather than the instructor.  Results are going to vary depending on who is at the helm.

ssw1120

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 04:30:02 PM »
I have taken both Testmasters and PowerScore. I am just finishing the PowerScore virtual class (retaking test Saturday) and I thought it was better than the entire Testmasters course. PS breaks dwon the concepts better...and they tend to use really good teachers for the virtual class.