Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it bad if you're going over.....  (Read 1273 times)

thejoker

• View Profile
Is it bad if you're going over.....
« on: December 12, 2008, 12:55:36 AM »
EVERYTHING from the entire semester in the five days before the test?  Any 2 or 3Ls want to weigh in?  I think it's turning out to be a very bad idea....I read for class all semester, but I definitely didn't do much memorization or anything very deep into the material.  In any case, I think I'm learning my lesson because I'm burned out from the first exam and am having trouble getting going on the next one.  My plan was not to do too much in the first half of the semester thinking I'd probably forget a lot of it anyway...oops, I think. ???

"That One"

• View Profile
Re: Is it bad if you're going over.....
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 12:21:24 PM »
Isn't going over the entire semester before the exam kind of the point?  I wouldn't bother memorizing anything unless your test is closed book.  If it is closed book and you haven't memorized anything then make a brief outline and memorize that ASAP.  If it's open book then focus on practice exams and find a good outline.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:30:23 PM »
Reading all semester is a waste of time.

thejoker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 11:33:23 AM »
In replying to "That One" above:  I'm glad you said: "Isn't going over the entire semester before the exam kind of the point?" I guess law exams are just a different animal than I've encountered before.  Going over 700-900 pages worth of material, even skimming a good portion of it, is a monstrous task.  In any case, I'm definitely going to hit it much harder during the semester next time. 
By the way, my K exam allows us to bring one 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper as a "cheat sheet."  I'm now making it and it's hilarious because I'm using 5 pt font (Times New Roman) and 2,700 words doesn't even cover 1/2 of the front page.  Thank god for the cheat sheet.....and thanks for the advice. ;D

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 02:08:58 PM »
You don't need to read 700 pages of material.  All you need is Crunchtime for contracts and the Chirelstein (spelling?) book.  For a class like contracts the cases are not really that important the best thing you can do is learn the black letter law (from an outline) and practice applying it (on practice exams).  Working smart > working hard