Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stanford 1L taking questions  (Read 1922 times)

SLS 1L

• View Profile
Stanford 1L taking questions
« on: December 11, 2008, 06:17:54 PM »
These threads were helpful for me last year, and what better time to waste time online than during exams?  Also, SLS never got enough love around here, I thought.

SLS 1L

• View Profile
Re: Stanford 1L taking questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:29:28 PM »
I always express my love for SLS... they just didnt love me back :( 

I'm sorry to hear that.  Hopefully you're loving Penn though.  :)

Oh well.  Happy nonstudying! 

To you as well!

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
How is the first term with no grades? 

ETA: Also, I heard Stanford was going to be changing to the quarter system.  Your thoughts?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

valjean

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:12:09 PM »
Maybe this isn't a great question for a 1L, but I'm sure you have a perspective from when you were choosing schools:

How portable is a Stanford degree really, compared to YH? If one's long term goals involve work in DC or NY, do you think attending Stanford could put one at a disadvantage? I kind of dream of going to LS on the west coast, but I know I won't be relocating there permanantly.
Not applying until next cycle...

SLS 1L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 09:50:42 PM »
How is the first term with no grades? 

ETA: Also, I heard Stanford was going to be changing to the quarter system.  Your thoughts?

The no grades thing is really nice.  Virtually everyone is guaranteed a Pass (there's no mandatory quota of Low Passes, nor does it seem anyone slacks off enough to put themselves in the running for one).  Of course everyone tries to get the Honors, but there's no Honors-or-bust mentality.  It seems like most people would be content with straight P's, myself included.  It takes the pressure off in one sense, since the lowest performer gets the same result as the 70th percentile person.  In another sense, there is still some motivation not to be that cutoff guy who just misses the H.  On the whole, I love it.

We're going to quarter system next year to align ourselves with the rest of the university.  I'm looking forward to the long upcoming summer--something like 17 or 18 weeks.  I tend to like quarters better because you have less classes to deal with at any given time, you only have to remember 10 weeks back rather than 15, and 15 weeks with the same professor is a tad long for my taste.  The only downside I can see--which may turn out to be unfounded--is if employers will be turned off by late-June SA start dates.  I know there's a few schools on quarter system already (Chicago), and am curious to know if that affects their prospects in any way.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:06:33 PM »
How's the location?

Would I need a car?

It's up there with my other top choices right now... I'd need some good fortunate to get in though.

SLS 1L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »
Maybe this isn't a great question for a 1L, but I'm sure you have a perspective from when you were choosing schools:

How portable is a Stanford degree really, compared to YH? If one's long term goals involve work in DC or NY, do you think attending Stanford could put one at a disadvantage? I kind of dream of going to LS on the west coast, but I know I won't be relocating there permanantly.

That's a good question.  I personally have intention of going east coast so I haven't thought much about this.  As much as I love this place, I would be lying if I told you we have the same name brand as Y or H.  It's no secret we don't.  Of course the margin is much smaller when we're talking about prestige within the legal community compared to lay prestige.  Friends and family ask me all the time if "Stanford has a good law school."  People in the legal community, on the other hand, know exactly where we stand.

As far as portability, I looked up where current 3Ls spent their past summers.  It looks like:

43 went to DC
41 went to NY
22 went to SoCal
68 stayed in the Bay Area
then a few to Chicago, Boston, abroad, etc.

Obviously this doesn't speak to people getting the location they wanted.  In other words, maybe some of the Bay Area folks wanted to go to NY but couldn't.  Though speaking with the 2Ls and 3Ls, I highly doubt this.  I get the feeling that they could still go wherever they wanted.  

For what it's worth, I turned down H to come here.  But that was mostly because I love California more than I'm worried about any (theoretical) hit in the job department.

SLS 1L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:39:09 PM »
How's the location?

Would I need a car?

It's up there with my other top choices right now... I'd need some good fortunate to get in though.

Location is amazing.  I know some people are cut out for large cities, and have this worry that Palo Alto is this boring suburban wasteland.  Obviously it's not Boston or NY but it's far from boring.  SF is like a 40 minute drive.  The beach is 20 minutes away.   And PA has plenty to do in its own right, including a ton of restaurants.  I grew up in suburbia and this is far from it.  And the good weather goes without saying. 

I would recommend a car, but it's far from necessary.  Parking is more than abundant and a car makes everything a little easier.  There's free shuttles that loop around campus and venture into downtown PA, and then there's the CalTrain which runs up to SF and down to San Jose.  But in terms of going to the grocery store or going out to eat, a car is pretty much necessary. 

Good luck!  Don't lose hope late in the cycle.  As I'm sure you know, this place is notorious for late admits.

valjean

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »

That's a good question.  I personally have intention of going east coast so I haven't thought much about this.  As much as I love this place, I would be lying if I told you we have the same name brand as Y or H.  It's no secret we don't.  Of course the margin is much smaller when we're talking about prestige within the legal community compared to lay prestige.  Friends and family ask me all the time if "Stanford has a good law school."  People in the legal community, on the other hand, know exactly where we stand.

As far as portability, I looked up where current 3Ls spent their past summers.  It looks like:

43 went to DC
41 went to NY
22 went to SoCal
68 stayed in the Bay Area
then a few to Chicago, Boston, abroad, etc.

Obviously this doesn't speak to people getting the location they wanted.  In other words, maybe some of the Bay Area folks wanted to go to NY but couldn't.  Though speaking with the 2Ls and 3Ls, I highly doubt this.  I get the feeling that they could still go wherever they wanted.  

For what it's worth, I turned down H to come here.  But that was mostly because I love California more than I'm worried about any (theoretical) hit in the job department.

Thanks for your speedy response. Those numbers are really interesting, and if I had to guess I'd say those 2Ls and 2Ls are probably right. Once you're choosing between S and H, I don't think you can really go wrong. Good luck with the rest of your year!
Not applying until next cycle...

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 02:42:46 AM »
do you know anything about the admissions process that you would like to share - the commonality in successful applicants, numbers, etc? Also, how would you compare clerking opportunities v. H, Chicago