Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Go Thomas Jefferson School of Law! On the Rise... :)  (Read 10372 times)

dl1227

• View Profile
Re: Go Thomas Jefferson School of Law! On the Rise... :)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »
ABA

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »
Thats cool. I know a lot of CA schools are "state accredited" or even "state bar approved"

ABA

DannyJames

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 07:03:24 AM »
My experience with Thomas Jefferson has not been pleasant.  I applied in October and never received any notification that my application had been received, let alone complete.  I emailed the school a couple weeks ago asking for an update on if they've even received my application.  I got no response.  I finally called and the woman informed me they do not let applicants know if they have your application.  The lack of communication from a school like TJ was discouraging, and they have definitely been deleted from my list (i applied due to location). 

This is purely my experience, just thought i'd throw in my .02
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive

ashleighlaren

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »
My experience with Thomas Jefferson has not been pleasant.  I applied in October and never received any notification that my application had been received, let alone complete.  I emailed the school a couple weeks ago asking for an update on if they've even received my application.  I got no response.  I finally called and the woman informed me they do not let applicants know if they have your application.  The lack of communication from a school like TJ was discouraging, and they have definitely been deleted from my list (i applied due to location). 

This is purely my experience, just thought i'd throw in my .02

This is good to know. You are not the only who has not recieved any notification from the school. I have been accepted into all other schools I have applied to, and they all have at least notified me when my application was complete.. Not really considering it anymore since it was a safety anyways.

timpenn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 12:02:26 AM »
I sent my application to Thomas Jefferson last month. I have heard absolutely nothing from them. Not even notification that my application was received/complete. Nothing!  I applied to 7 schools in January and have been notified of receipt of app. by all of them and already accepted by 4, but not a peep from Thomas Jefferson.
They didn't even respond to my emails. Truly unbelievable. If this is how they treat you before you get there, how bad will it be when you are there? 

165 LSAT/3.4 GPA

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 01:39:27 AM »
Well I agree with the original poster I ended up going to Golden Gate despite all the negative comments on here about it, which almost scared me into going to a higher ranked school in New Hampshire, which I had no desire of living in. ABA is ABA and the person who has not received a notification yet, relax it's things like that which get blown way out of proportion.  If you are really that concerned about your application call and they will tell you. Also when you apply it does not go directly to the school it takes weeks to go through LSAC before it even gets to the school. So maybe they really haven't gotten your app yet and that is why you have not been notified.  Honestly, any ABA school is respectable and if you put in the work you will likely pass the bar and find a job. Obviously, the higher ranked school you go to you will have more opportunities, but T-3 and T-4 schools are not going to live you destitute when you graduate. People in law school are smart and you have to work hard to get through it no matter where you go.  I just wanted to agree with the original poster and say despite what you hear on this board if you really want to be a lawyer and T-4 is your only option then by all means go. It will be more of an uphill battle than if you go Harvard and the higher ranked schools,but you can still get a good education and be a good attorney.

DannyJames

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »
ABA is ABA and the person who has not received a notification yet, relax it's things like that which get blown way out of proportion.  If you are really that concerned about your application call and they will tell you. Also when you apply it does not go directly to the school it takes weeks to go through LSAC before it even gets to the school.

False: I've seen on 5 of 7 applications that my file was complete in less than 3 business days.  I applied to this school in October and heard nothing until i personally called in February.  You NEVER hear from TJ because it's their policy not to notify students.  The admin office told me that directly when I called.  i can't see attending a school that gladly cashes a check but can't notify me of the status for a potentially life-changing event
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 01:59:19 AM »
If you personally had a bad experience then you honestly know more than I do about Thomas Jefferson. I never dealt with Thomas Jefferson so I am not going to question your personal experience. Maybe they have some policy reason for doing that, but it does seem a little strange to not give you notice about your application.

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 02:55:32 AM »
but T-3 and T-4 schools are not going to live you destitute when you graduate.

Don't be so sure. Again, please reserve judgment until you graduate yourself. I've got a buddy who graduated from Buffalo and is now working for free in NYC. That's the only opportunity he had to gain some legal experience.

I know another girl who chose to forgo her six figure sales job to go to law school. Guess what she's doing now? Waiting tables in NYC.

I could go on and on and cite numerous examples of this happening out there. Unless you have some connections or the economy rebounds somehow, you're going to be in a state of shock come graduation time.

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 03:47:06 AM »

I really think you've developed a false sense of security.  And I think your wishful thinking (e.g. so what if Golden Gate is a T4 school) is going to be shattered by the realities of the market.

I don't have an agenda here. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.  But after witnessing my friends and peers graduate, I think you're in for a real shock.